Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Completely Relaxing!

Sail Date: March 31, 2007

My wife and I decided to spend our first cruise on the Voyager of the Seas, and for the most part, we weren't disappointed. The people on the ship were largely families in their late 20's and early 30's, and while a lot of them were drinking, we never saw anybody get drunk or rowdy. My wife and I do not drink, so it was a nice surprise. However, our next door neighbors were quite drunk and loud, and despite calls to the front desk, they continued to be that way until around 4AM on several nights. Granted, we could sleep by the pool during the day, but it's irritating to spend a couple thousand on a cruise and not be able to enjoy the stateroom.

Pros: Good food, family atmosphere, excellent activities

Cons: Limited hours in ports of call

Recommends Voyager of the Seas? Yes!

I found out on the cruise that the Voyager is the largest class of cruise ship on the seas. That's not too shabby for a first time pick! It was easy to find a quiet area on the deck to be alone, but activities were only a short walk away.
I have never had such excellent service at our dining room table as was provided by the staff. The menu selections were excellent, with several different choices if we didn't like the main dinner. Our main waiter kept us entertained with napkin folding origami, logic puzzles, and just a general outgoing personality. She really made dinner time enjoyable! Also, the buffet food was outstanding, although the dining rooms were overcrowded at times during breakfast and lunch. I would have liked to see them stay open all day, too. They closed at 2:30PM, which left quite a gap between that and our 6PM dinner if we wanted a quick bite to eat.
The stateroom was very small, as I expected. We had an interior stateroom, although I noticed that all the exterior staterooms had their own private balconies. If we go again, I will probably spend the extra money for them. My biggest complaint, other than noisy neighbors, was that it was TOO HOT! My wife is 5 months pregnant, and I am always hot. We had the temperature set to full cold, and the room was barely tolerable. I prefer to sleep with sheets on the bed. Other than that, the stateroom attendant kept the room extremely clean, and we always had an animal created from towels waiting for us on the bed when we returned from dinner.
We also were not expecting the crew of the ship to be so friendly! There were several times during the first few days when we had to ask questions or directions of random staff members. If we were lost, they took us to where we were going. If we had a question, they answered it and made sure we understood. If they didn't know, they would find someone who did.
A casino, shopping mall, ice skating rink, and a theater. What more needs to be said? Every evening, a listing of the next day's activities was waiting on the bed, and it clearly explained what they were, what time they were occuring, and what location they were taking place. The staff hosting the events made them fun in that they seemed to be really into their jobs. If you were bored on this ship, it was your own fault. ;)
We only had 6 hours to spend in this port, which turned out to be 5 when we figured out that the shops didn't open until 9AM. All we did was shop at the stores by the pier. The area was very clean and safe, and the salespeople were very friendly without being overly pushy.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
We spent a full day in port, and I am glad that we did. We visited the national park in St. John and swam in the ocean in the morning. The beach was amazingly clean, and the ocean water was so clear that you could see your feet when you were in the water at shoulder level. It wasn't overly-crowded, either, so we had a nice quiet place to spend some time in the sun. We also visited the shops in the pier area, and these were by far the best shops on the cruise. It took us a few hours to go through the many stores. The area was clean and had a visible police presence, making it feel safer.
Don't Miss: The national park in St. John
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
This "island" was absolutely awful. It was more of a bay than anything. The ship sat in the middle of this bay, which is surrounded by mountains on its three sides. This minimized any breeze that may have been blowing, which made the hot day even hotter. We had to ferry over to shore and found that it was overcrowded. There was hardly any place to swim, with the people floating on rafts, and there wasn't any room to lay out a towel or find an empty lounge chair. The whole place screamed "Money Pit," and was too crowded to make me want to do anything but go back to the ship. I think this place would be better if they had more space for people to spread out. On a positive note, when we arrived at the ship, we pretty much had the whole thing to ourselves.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Again, we only had 5 hours to spend in port, which made taking any sort of tour a risky proposition. Instead, we visited the area of Old San Juan, which was one of the dirties areas I have ever seen. The sidewalks were filthy and could barely hold two people abreast, the stores were not well marked, and the stench of diesel fuel was overpowering in the crowded conditions. Claustrophobic would be a good word to describe this area. I would avoid any cruise that had this port on their list.