Change of Policy - Deceptive Practice - Bait and Switch.

Veendam Cruise Review to South America

Helpful Vote: 1

13 Night South America (Santiago To Buenos Aires)
Sail Date: February 20, 2013
Ship: Veendam
Cabin Type: Suite

We haven't left for the cruise yet, but I'm all ready upset at Holland America for changing their policy without any notification. We have cruised with Holland America in the past and have enjoyed the fact that we could bring wine on board at embarkation or purchased in port. This is one of the reasons we booked with Holland America again. I verified that this was the policy when we booked the cruise last year.

Note: The itinerary is wrong - we haven't sailed yet, but no way to put that in. (29 day Panama Canal cruise Feb. 2014)

I happened to come across a facts page when I was looking for something else that changed this policy. Now we can bring on board only  one bottle of wine each at embarkation and none purchased in ports of call. I don't know how we can make two bottles last for a twenty nine day cruise. Oh, - I know!! We can buy the wine packages from Holland America at $30.00 - $45.00 per bottle plus a 15% service "fee". How convenient. Must buy the package before you go or you're SOL.

There was no notification or warning  about this. Imagine what would have been the scene if we had tried to get on the ship with four or five bottles of wine? It was just by chance that I found out about it. I've neen screwed by businesses before and probably will be again, but never by the same one twice. I'll post an update when the cruise is over. Hate to start out on such a sour note.

Make sure that you have an out of the booking if they change policies on you.