Veendam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Very special anniversary cruise

Sail Date: March 01, 2007

We recently sailed on Holland America's Veendam to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. My husband and I (who are both in our 30's) went without our children, and I would not recommend this as a family cruise, the atmosphere is definitely geared more towards adults. I had heard prior to sailing that Holland America attracted an older age group, and our cruise did indeed have mostly people ages 50 and over. But I wasn't sure why, as they have a beautiful ship, great port stops and excursions, and many other amenities that would appeal to younger ages. Holland America may very well be a best-kept secret that the older passengers just aren't willing to share!!

The Veendam is a great ship, not too huge like many other ocean liners, but big enough to offer several important amenities like two pools, multiple dining options and a wonderful amount of quiet places to go to relax. Although the ship was full when we sailed, we experienced no lines at the dining and entertainment, and were able to have plenty of room to do all that we wanted on the ship.

We would definitely sail on Holland America again.

Pros: surrounded by elegance, great food, easy to do everything on the ship

Cons: not a very wide range of ages among travellers

Recommends Veendam? Yes!

Staff was incredibly professional, looked like they were having fun.
I especially liked their food demonstration area where they had cooking classes throughout the cruise.
Our stateroom with a verandah was very spacious and we loved the private balcony.