A great trip

Symphony of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Symphony of the Seas

7 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: April 20, 2019

Ship: Symphony of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

The best overview summary I can give is that it was excellent and I would go again on this cruise. You do not notice that there are over 6000 people on board because there's so much to do. I have taken other cruises and this one has been the best.

Embarkation

Getting on the ship was much easier than other cruises I've been on. This is because you can register online and submit all of your information along with a picture well in advance of your trip.

Ship experiences

The main dining was excellent. We were in the main dining room on deck 3 and it was a nice place and we were seated near the windows so we could see out. The setups were excellent and the food was very good. Much better than the Carnival ship I went on a couple years ago. The service was also excellent. They had a pizza place on the Promenade deck 5 that was also excellent and open till at least midnight every night. All kinds of pizza continuously being cooked and offered in as many slices as you wanted. We didn't try the specialty restaurants where they charged an extra fee for their food like Chops Grille, Jamie's Italian, or any of the others. Johnny Rockets was good for cheeseburgers but there is a charge. Park Cafe was nice as it was smaller that the Windjammer and they would cook and make sandwiches and salads for you. The Windjammer is on the 16th floor and has all the buffets with all kinds of food. As usual some of the food was very good and some not so good, but that's true of all buffets. They had a Nathan's hot dog house which was very good and a coffee/pastry cafe which was open at 6am every morning for us "early" folks. The coffee is strong though throughout the ship.

Being "older" I tend to stay away from some of the activities so can't say from personal experience how good or bad they are. But, everyone who participated seemed to have fun and were enjoying the rock wall, pool, etc.

This was the best part of the trip. The musicians, singers, dancers, skaters, aqua people, symphony of the seas orchestra, and the piano and guitar players were all top notch professionals. Hairspray was terrific and the vocals and dancing was terrific, the ice show had champion ice skaters from around the world and they were excellent, the aquatic show was also excellent. I cannot say enough about the orchestra which was actually only 9 musicians, but they were all high class professionals from around the world. They had 2 trumpets, trombone, 2 sax players, 2 guitar players, keyboard and drums. I am an amateur musician so I know what I was listening to and they were better than some other professional groups I've heard. The 4 piece jazz ensemble with vocals was also terrific. They have a special lounge called Jazz on 4 and it's a perfect venue for the jazz and orchestra to play. I just cannot say enough about how good the talent was. Go and see for yourself.

Waiters were excellent. We had 2 waiters which took care of all our food and drinking needs and they were polite and provided great service. The room stewards were great and they kept our room clean and updated with towels and face cloths. First day there we asked for a couple extra towels and face cloths and they got them to us right away and for the rest of the week made sure we had some extra. They also cleaned up some of the "mess" we would make. All of the ship personnel were friendly and courteous. The only negative is that some don't understand english as well as you would assume they should so some of the english slang goes right over their heads.

The layout is very good. The Boardwalk area and Central Park area are very nice with shops, restaurants and walking areas, the Promenade deck area is also great with lounges, shops and the pizza place. The whole ship seems to be laid out well.

The cabins are ok, with a couch and bed as usual for a ship. Bathroom was spacious for a ship and the shower had plenty of room. The only thing I wish I had was a sitting chair as the couch was just so so. But I think it was a pull out bed so none of them are comfortable.

Ship tip

Here's a couple of tips. We don't drink too much but we got the drink package and it made things a lot easier whether it was soft drinks, liquer, or water. We had an inside balcony which was nice, but there's a lot of activity in the Boardwalk and Central Park areas and it tends to get noisy. I might opt for an outside balcony next time.

Ports of call

Miami, Florida

Each port had different things to do. We didn't sign up for too many excursions but we did take a glass bottom boat excursion in Cozemel. It was ok, but I keep expecting to see many vibrant colored fish and there were some but not too many. The jungle experience in Roatan I thought was well worth it. Monkeys and MacKaws were abundants as well as other things to see. A little bit of walking but it was excellent. I liked Costa Maya as we sat at a little bar restaurant area right on the beach with an overhang for shade and could enjoy the breeze. I didn't do any other excursions.

Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

I liked the jungle excursion in Roatan.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

Just walked around and little, saw some dolphins, sat at a bar and enjoyed the breeze.

Glass bottom boat was good. Margaritaville right at the port was very good and we didn't do too much else there.

Lots of shops. We didn't go to Atlantis but might if I were to go there again.

Disembarkation

Smooth as silk. They took the bags the night before. We had tags numbered 24 so got off the ship at 7:30am. Each tag number goes at a different time. Bags are all arranged by the numbers so easy to find. Get one of the porters and they will take your bags, get you through customs which was easy, and then to the vehicle or transfer bus you are taking. Tip him, it's worth it.

1 Comment