Nice ship, great crew

Symphony of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Symphony of the Seas

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 19, 2019

Ship: Symphony of the Seas

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 6547

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

Although Rccl is not especially friendly to solo travelers, I had a very enjoyable cruise. The staff was great. I’d like to see more activities during the day that don’t involve selling something.

Embarkation

The new terminal worked really easily. I did get there just before 3:00, though, so I don’t know how it worked when it was crowded. I was checked in by someone with just an iPad, who took a scan of my passport and that was it. My key card was waiting at my room.

Ship experiences

Great service in the main dining room. Windjammer cafe can be crowded but is surprisingly small for the size of the ship. If you ever want to avoid the big crowds go to the complimentary Park Cafe in Central Park. The food was pretty good throughout. I liked that they added crudités to the breakfast menu in Windjammer. The beef burgers seemed pretty lo quality. There are selections for gluten free and sugar free in the Windjammer.

I use the jogging track, which is the longest one around. I did the zip line and Abyss slide. Both were good although I rolled a little on the slide and got a burn and bruise on my arm. The pools are small. I saw the sports pool set up forvolleyball one day, and players were having fun. I like sudoku but the library ran out early most days.

Hiro—the water show was great. I also heard great reviews of 1977. I tried Togo to Hairspray buticould not find an unobstructed seat anywhere on the balcony. This is caused by the railing in front of the front rower (so people don’t falloff the balcony, but that blocks the front row so they lean forward which blocks the rows behind an so forth. Try to get a seat on the main floor.

Best cabin steward I ever had in 25 cruises (Rogie). The dining room staff served uswithgoodhumor although I think we were not always the easiest bunch. I think the Symphony gave opportunities to rccl’s best.

Similar to the other oasis class ships. I had a room on deck. 6 forward, so I could hear music from the theater although not too bad. I suggest a room on deck 8 forward, so you can walk to the Windjammer and diningrooms through Central Park instead of down a hallway. Note that you can only access Windjammer through the aft elevators or stairs, which is annoying. The forward elevators can get you to deck 15, then you can walk across the pool area, but then you still have to climb another deck to get to Windjammer on 16.

Very nice decor. Mild noise with the theater below. no CNN on the TV.

Ship tip

Try breakfast or lunch atSolarium Bistro (no kids) or ParkCafe.

Ports of call

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Disembarkation

I lined up for express departure. The line started moving at 6:45,right on time but after about 100 feet it stopped dead for 15 minutes. As is always the case, a little communication from the staff as to why we stopped could go a long way to avoid