Sun Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Sun Princess to Alaska -- great trip

Sail Date: July 01, 2007

Overall, the trip was a mixed bag. The scenery was breathtaking, but I would have liked a little more time in each port. The Sun Princess has a lot going for it, but is probably not the ship for everyone.

Pros: The itinerary

Cons: The food was hit and miss

Recommends Sun Princess? Yes!

The staterooms were large, as promised. The areas were clean, amenities good, but not too much, and the fact that the ship is smaller is a bit of a plus.
We had three people in a balcony stateroom. The rooms were bigger than on other ships I've cruised (Carnival and Royal Caribean).
The service was excellent. The staff went out of their way to please the customers and I definitely felt pampered. Not quite the Celebrity commerical-quality, but close.
Dining was a mixed bag. The formal dining room had some very good dishes, but others that overreached and fell short on the execution. The buffet was so-so, but the pizzeria was excellent. The formal dining room presented a lot of variation, and I was pleased, although the rest of my family was not. However, if you are not into gourmet food, I think this would be fine for you.
Princess was skewed a little older, so the activities were sedate -- bingo, scrapbooking, etc. What I went to was OK, but not great. The galley tour was disappointing, but the wine tasting was good.
Juneau, Alaska
I only did a quick run through Juneau, due to the lack of time in the port and having participated in a excursion.
Victoria, British Columbia
I wish we had more time in Victoria. It was beautiful, and I could have easily spent a few days there. If you can't get to the Butchart gardens, at least visit the gardens at the Empress Hotel.
Don't Miss: If you don't do an excursion, hire a horse drawn carriage for a tour of the city.
Ketchikan, Alaska
Take the time to visit Creek Street. It's off the main path, and has many shops that are not connected to the cruise industry. Also, for restaurants, Steamers was outstanding. Also, take the funicular up to the hotel at the top of the city.
Don't Miss: Creek Street
Skagway, Alaska
I think Skagway was a city invented by the cruise ship companies. Other than the White Rail and Yukon Pass train (which was excellent), there's not much in the city, other than the same t-shirt shops that were in Ketchikan and Juneau.
Don't Miss: Skagway Fish Company restaurant -- worth the wait in line.