Statendam Cruise Review to Alaska

Sail Date: June 29, 2015

My overall experience was very good.  All of the ports were great but I wish there was more time in them except Anchorage.  I would like less time there or more excursions.  HAL needs to have flying excursions to see the bears exclusively.  All of our excursions were good.

Things I suggest for HAL:  free bottled water in the rooms & everywhere onboard the ship, free Wi-Fi internet service, a department to help with shipping items home, a clock in the bathroom & room, provide free transportation to all port cities shopping areas, rent good high powered binoculars (way for HAL to make more money – don’t charge too much), free 800 calls, coffee makers in room, more common food – not so fancy – biscuits & gravy, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, Chinese food, Mexican food, Italian food etc., more electrical plugs, plugs that work – my cell phone would not charge & my sisters charger was fried.

I had a very big problem with HAL & the way they billed my credit card (cc).  Since they bill the cc daily it creates pending charges that look duplicate.  I gave them permission to charge a different cc with a certain amount.  HAL billed my entire bill to this different cc.  It created a billing nightmare for me.  It took several days & calls for me to straighten out the mess they made & I’m not sure it’s fixed yet.

CAUTION TO PEOPLE THAT SPEND A LOT IN THE JEWELRY SHOPS!!!  When we left the ship I had to go to the customs office for a one on one with a customs officer.  I’m 73 & this was quite disturbing for me.  I didn’t know what was going on.  They wanted to know if all the items I bought were made in the USA.  I didn’t know.  The shops tell you that everything you buy is tax & duty free but do not say anything as to whether it’s made in the USA.  The customs officer said I should have kept my receipts & certificates of authenticity with me to show them.  No one in the jewelry stores told me I needed to do this. THIS SHOULD BE MENTIONED BY THE JEWELRY PERSONNEL.  I packed them in my checked bag & used Luggage Direct to take them from the ship to the airport.  I did not have access to my checked bag.  Thankfully the customs officer had pity on an uninformed little old lady & didn’t make me pay anything or put me in jail.

Too much fancy food.
Asep was the high light of our night time dining experience. He made my sister & me origami items each night & we looked forward to seeing him. He has a very special place in our hearts.
My room was kept in excellent condition thanks to Lukman & Cuncun, they were wonderful.
The jewelry & other stores were great. Adam & Emilija were very special in the way they treated me. Adam was very helpful in sharing his knowledge of diamonds & gemstones. So was Rose Marie, Bhavesh & Yana. Markus in the Marabella shop was like a grandson to me. His knowledge, help & kindness went above & beyond his job. He was such a delight to talk to & meet.
All of the staff in the Lido dining room were great too.
I wish the price of excursions was not so expensive. There needs to be more verity with less cost.
Lukman & Cuncun kept my cabin in perfect condition.

Ship sold not need to elaborate.