Statendam Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Sleeping in the Porta John

Sail Date: August 31, 2014

I think the title says it all.  The first day we arrived on the ship, our air conditioning was not working, and our toilet did not flush properly.  It took them two days to fix air-conditioning problem.   Which ok, we get problems happen.  The second day we started to smell a sewer smell when we walked down our hall way to our room. At first you kind of dismiss it, until we opened the door to our room, and yes it smelled like a Porta John. By the third day the smell was overwhelming as soon as you got off the elevator and turned the corner to our room , it was horrible. When we went to the front desk and complained, the gentlemen went down to our room to "smell", he had the customer service manger contact us within an hour or so.  When we met with him, he explained they were not allowed to dump on the Alaska /Bc passage , and the elevators were creating a back draft.  Thus the smell was wafting up and into our room, hallway,stairwell etc. The cruise was fully booked, so he had to move someone from entertainment to move us.  While I think he did a good job dealing with the situation .  He did get authorization to give us $250 room credit. Ok that's all fine and dandy , here is where I have an issue, they knew about the problem, as he did admit this to us. And by the time the cruise was over it was up to about the 6th floor with the smell. You could not go anywhere near the back of the boat near the elevators without gaging.  When we contacted Holland America on our arrival home.  They basically sent us a form letter, stating were sorry for the un pleasant odor. Here is a $175 voucher to take another cruise.  Oh I love the fact it expired within a year, and that we would have to give them more money to take advantage of it.   When I spoke to Daphney in their guest relations. Her comment when I explained my situation, and that I thought it was very unacceptable that they knowingly had a problem with their waste and did not advise us prior to boarding.  Was  "you could have bought a more expensive room, you did purchase the cheapest one."  Really so we should sleep in fecal matter??? That is outrageous. She explained the cost of the state room was only a fraction of the cost, and we did eat and use the ship amenities.  I was shocked that she was some how justifying the fact that we slept in what would have been the equivalent of sleeping in a porta john at a rock concert out in the sun for three days! I did explain to her that the cruise was not the bulk of the expense for our trip, plane fair , transportation ect. Which I did not expect them to give me money for.  Having to smell human waste for a week ruined our trip!  It was gross and disgusting.  I will never travel with this company again, they are liars !  They knew they had a waste problem , and did not disclose it to us, that is fraud.  And I don't care what I paid for the room, I would not have got on that boat even if it was free, had I known. Stay away from this cruise line!  I have taken other cruises, and not experienced sleeping in sewer!