Such a Blast

Statendam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Sail Date: July 01, 2011
Ship: Statendam
This was my first cruise, and I had a blast! The Statendam doesn't strike me as a large ship, compared to the ones we passed, and I liked that. We saw many of the same people on our ship, but you could still get away and find peace and solitude if desired. The ship also did not feel crowded.

The entertainment was great. I loved the shows and the fact that we could also go to hear the string quartet, pianist, or another ensemble in several lounges in the evening. During the day there were several activities, from sports, to dance lessons, cooking shows, and workshops. Night-life was great.

I thought all the crew were fantastic. From our room attendants to the waiters/servers, DJ, cruise director, and captain, everyone was helpful, personable, and professional.

The food was delicious! There are several options from the regular dining room, buffet, specialty restaurants, poolside grill, coffee bar, lounges, and even high-tea or special dessert/snack hours. There is no want of food onboard ship.

Our ports of call were a lot of fun -- Haines, Juneau, and Ketchikan. I liked that we did the one-way trip, from Seward to Vancouver, as I feel we got to see a lot more (ie: Glacier Bay!!!) than many of the round-trip cruises from Seattle or Vancouver.

Lastly, being a single young female, cruising with my best friend, some people weren't sure we would enjoy a cruise that primarily caters to older customers. However, we both enjoyed ourselves immensely. There was so much to do and see. I could have stayed on board and done the north-bound trip the following week. I would recommend this cruise and HAL to people of all ages!

Make sure to take the stairs or go walking to avoid weight-gain as there is a lot of delicious food available!

So much to do/see!

Friendly, helpful, personable

Not too big or small. Good renovations.

We got upgraded to a full oceanview window with no obstruction.

Pros: Food, Entertainment, Activities

Cons: photo price

Recommends Statendam? Yes!