Star Princess Cruise Review to Mexico

Contributor Level: Second Mate

Very good cruise to Mexico

Sail Date: November 10, 2016

Reviewed: 16 days ago

My wife and I are experienced cruisers, and have taken over forty cruises to various locations around the world.  We always look for detailed changes, either good or bad on any cruise that we take.

One change that we noticed was that the production shows are better, with some only thirty minutes long.  This was a ten day trip with only three production shows in the theatre, and the rest of the days having singers and comedians.

The famous "happy hour" at the Wheelhouse bar has been decreased from three hours to one hour and is now set at a terrible time of 5:00 PM, right when dinner starts.  Buy one drink at the regular price and get one for one dollar instead of one free like the old days.

My wife and I are "cruise foodies" and are very critical of the food offered on any ship that we are on.  I can rate the food against eight other cruise lines, and in our opinion, only Celebrity and Oceania has better food in general.  Starting with the buffet, we can say that it is typical food for a cruise ship, but the buffet always has a carving station during lunch and dinner, with staff serving drinks to the passengers.

We established a relationship with Laura and Miguel in the MDR, who provided us with very efficient and professional wait service.  The food in the MDR was exceptional most days and had vegetarian choices every day.  The desserts were very "visual" and looked as good as they tasted.  The International Café is open 24 hours with a good variety of sandwiches, soups and desserts.  On sea days there is an Afternoon Tea at 3:30 which has finger sandwiches, scones  and cookies for those that like a social hour to meet people.

The ports visited on this cruise are all good, but our favorite is Puerto Vallarta.  We always go to the area where they filmed the movie Predator, because this is where the zip line and bungee are located.

This cruise was very good with an excellent staff to support all of my needs. I would definitely refer my friends to take this cruise with this staff, on this ship the Star Princess.

Order a mattress pad and extra pillows
Getting on the ship is always difficult because half of the passengers are elite class, who get on the ship first

If you like coffee purchase a coffee card to use at the international café. You can get free coffee at the buffet which is not as good.