Star Princess Not What It Used to Be

Star Princess Cruise Review to South America

Star Princess

14 Night Cape Horn & Strait Of Magellan (Buenos Aires To Santiago)

Sail Date: February 01, 2016

Ship: Star Princess

Cabin Number: Baja B237

Review Summary

I haven't been on a cruise in some years, but I did hear from others passengers who do that the princess Line has fallen in quality - perhaps in part due to it now being owned by Carnival. The crew and cleanliness onboard were tops, but I did have some issues wit the overall experience. Firstly, the bottled water and the "nickel & dime-ing" onboard. No bottled water was available, even in your cabin refrigerator. You had to buy it - the smallest being $ 2.50 US a pop. This is simply cheap. On excursions you could not take food or drink off the ship, which I understand, but they didn't offer water free of charge on disembarkation, even though some trips are 3-5 hours. This is especially unsafe for the many seniors who use cruise lines. The other big issue was that Princess automatically charged, without my permission, $ 12.50 US per day as gratuity for their crew. In addition, drinks carried another charge, if you paid it. I also found the art gallery, sales and auction garish. Most of this 'art' was reproduction and garish, which cheapened the Princess Line, in my opinion. I also found some of the nightly entertainment, especially with the Show Time crew, cheesey and predictable. All in all, I would not sail on another Princess/Carnival Cruise Line.

Ship Experiences

The cleaning staff were tops. Towels and linen changed daily. They were also very helpful. Room service was prompt and professional.

I had difficulty with the maitre' d's with a table for one, as I travelled alone this time. After two nights they got that a table for one is a table for two. I am a travel writer, so maybe this helped.

Ports Of Call