Star Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Wonderful to see Alaska

Sail Date: June 14, 2014

We enjoyed our first cruise very much and were especially thrilled to see Alaska. The staff on our cruise was wonderful -very polite and helpful. I was suprised that the food wasn't better, though. It was often bland and the desserts were especially flavorless. They looked beautiful, but had little taste. Almost every food item desperately needed seasoning and depth to it. The coffee was almost always awful although we discovered about half way through the cruise that the coffee that you had to pay for in the International Cafe was pretty good. There was plenty of variety in the food and I was happy that I could easily make healthy choices and have a lot of fruits and vegetables, but I wish the food had been  better all the way around. I also thought that the entertainment was mediocre at best. Otherwise, everything was fine. I will say that unless you absolutely LOVE the cruise experience, the trip from San Francisco to Alaska is LONG. Basically, two days spent getting there and two days spent coming back. I was traveling with someone who wanted to leave from SF, but if I were to do it again, I would fly to Seattle and depart from there to avoid the four long days at sea. And lastly, I've read some reviews that Holland tends to attract an older crowd, but if the crowd on this cruise had been any older,  . . . .well, let's just say I don't see how they could have been much older and still be kicking. And, don't get me wrong -- old people are great! But I was surprised that it was such a uniformly retired bunch.

Children's Programs Does not apply
This was our first cruise and we felt obliged to take the advice of the older relative we were traveling with, so we did NOT get from non-Princess providers. But you easily could and would save money that way.