Star Princess Cruise Review to Hawaii

Third Mate

Watch out for bedbugs

Sail Date: October 21, 2013

My wife and I went on a Star Princess cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii in October 2013.  From the first night we got on board, we were bitten by something, and the suspicion was on mosquito.  It was not until the fourth night when we killed three bedbugs did we realized what had been going on.  We notified the ship and they moved us to the second stateroom, and we were asked to leave our luggage and clothes behind for investigation.  After a day of investigation, they informed us they found nothing in what we brought on board and nothing in the first stateroom, and implied what we experienced in the first four nights was just a random event.  My wife and I had never seen bedbugs in our entire life until the fourth night on the Star Princess ship, and we did not stay in a hotel before boarding the ship.  I find it hard to believe that there are only three bedbugs on the ship and we killed them all in one shot.

The night we were moved to the second stateroom, around three o'clock midnight, we were waked up by a repeating metal thumping noise. First we thought it was temporary, but the noise came back every 5 to 10 minutes until five o'clock in the morning, by then, we realized it was not going away, so we notified the ship.  The night manager came and heard the noise in our room and told us the noise came from some kind of metal valve. We were moved to the third stateroom that morning.

In the third stateroom, our nightmare with the bedbugs continued, with fresh bites popping up every day.  I ran into the night manager (one of the two whom we saw on the fourth night) in the hall way, and told him about the fresh bites in the third stateroom.  He sent in the deck manager (a female) to investigate. She would not conduct the investigation while we were watching (what was she afraid of?) so we had to leave the room.  About an hour later, we came back and were told that nothing was found (surprise?), but one of the two cloth-covered wooden boards was taken away. If nothing was found, why was the board taken away?  The next day when she put a new board in, a very strong chemical odor came with it.  We had to call her back to take it away because the smell was unbearable.  Thereafter, we never bothered to notify the ship any of our ordeals because we knew their standard answer to the problems: We investigated and found nothing.

I ran into a lady in the lunch restaurant who was also bitten by some bugs.  She reported the incident to the ship and got the standard answer: We investigated and found nothing.  They did not even bother moving her to another stateroom.  I guess she was not lucky enough to catch and kill bedbugs as we were able to do.

Finally, we lowered the room temperature to the lowest scale possible to freeze ourselves, and hope the bedbugs would go away.  It worked!  We never had any fresh bites since we froze the room.

I have photos of the dead bedbugs: two on bathroom sink, one on bed, bite marks on our bodies, and the room with the wooden board missing.  I am trying to figure out a way to post them.

Cruise Photos