Star Princess Review

Star Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Helpful Vote: 1

7 Night Alaska Inside Passage (Seattle Roundtrip)
Sail Date: July 05, 2009
Ship: Star Princess
Cabin Type: Suite
7 day Alaska cruise July 2009, Seattle to Seattle. The cruise was a great and relaxing experience. Most of the time I found common areas spacious and free of long lines. The ship was clean and the crew were very friendly. The dining experience in any of the main dining rooms was superb. There were a few times when some of the experience got lost in the mix: the waiter leading us to our table lost us in the dining room, we just found a table and seated ourselves. There was a bacon-cheese burger with no bacon or cheese, an avocado and tomato sandwich with no avocado, a three-hour late chicken Caesar salad with no dressing. The coffee is absolutely terrible. It tastes like it was brewed in 2007 and stored in a fuel cell. Seriously, I think its instant and 'brewed' once per cruise. Apart from that, the crew really worked hard to be pleasant and helpful and the experience as a whole was quite nice.

The coffee is some of the worst I have ever tasted. My dissatisfaction was intensified by the lack of alternative coffee choices at the on-board espresso bar. The espresso drinks were not free and while better than the ships coffee, not very good in comparison to standard land-based cafe.
The food was mostly plentiful and delicious. The dining room was exceptional while the buffet was borderline acceptable. My advice: skip the buffet.

Very friendly with sometimes limited ability in the English language. Sometimes the language barrier made it hard to get custom orders, like a cheeseburger with two tomatoes and no fries. I repeated that order three times but got the same no tomato with fries burger as everyone else, although the burger guy pretended to understand and care in a very friendly way.

The ship's gym is undersized. Most days I found long waits for available cardio equipment. My workout requires a little bit of open floor space, which i also had to wait for. The dcor favors senior citizens.

The mini suite was clean and well appointed. I'm not a fan of the decor, which I would describe as being similar to a retirement home. Our room had been equipped with dual LCD TVs, but it was hard to see them due to the angle which they were mounted.
An interesting place. Had a great time watching whales and riding the tram up and down the mountain.
Don't Miss: Whale watching
Great beer and crappy food at the Irish Times Pub
Very clean and nice place to visit. Many public restrooms make this place more convenient for people who need that.
Don't Miss: Native artist co-op
Ketchikan is dirty and smells like fish guts, which are pretty much everywhere.
Don't Miss: That drunk guy in his underwear on his lawn

Pros: The service was excellent

Cons: The coffee was terrible

Recommends Star Princess? Yes!