Star Princess Cruise Review to Europe - Northern Europe

cruise marred by rude purser

Sail Date: June 01, 2006

The ship was great looking- very similar to the Golden and Grand that we had been on before. A week or so before the cruise we were called and offered an additional discount if we would share a family suite and give up the 3 cabins we had booked. We refused the offer but when we arrived found our cabins at the furthest most points from each other (on different floors and at opposite ends of the ship. We had booked a long time in advance and were upset. Purser said that this could not be changed but treated us in a disgustingly condescending manner that really marred our arrival. Not a single apology was offered. We were told if we didn't like it they would drop us at the next port but that they had done nothing "illegal". We were shocked at being spoken to in this manner. I went back to my cabin and had a cry and eventually went to sleep. At 5 in the a.m. I awoke when I heard someone open our door and enter our room. When we called out the door was abruptly shut. The next day our cabin steward told us that his manager had asked him to "check if we were in there". We were left with a very strange feeling ... Wasn't the worst or only story of passenger mistreatment that we heard though.

Really enjoyed the locations (we were on a Northern European cruise), dining was great and fun.

Trip was further marred by finding items stolen from our luggage after they were put outside the door the night we were leaving bizarrely my new undies (still had tags in), 3 pairs of my sons super hero PJ's, a pair of my sons pants, souvenir hats we had bought in St. Petersburg. All small enough in value to not make a claim but left us with a bad feeling about how the crew had "gone shopping" in our luggage. Different vibe on this trip than the Golden Princess & the Grand. Staff didnt seem to like the passengers as much...
(This cruise was actually July 2005.)

Pros: The locations we visited & dining

Cons: items stolen from our suitcase & rude purser