Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

An excellent cruise!

Sail Date: July 01, 2007

This was my first time cruising, and I have absolutely no complaints! The food in the dining room, Mirage, was excellent. The food is portioned out so that one may enjoy a starter, dinner, bread, and then dessert. The food in the windjammer was good; it was a buffet with many choices for food.
The cruise director on the ship, Casey, was FABULOUS. His personality was upbeat, and it was a pleasure to hear him speak before activites, and shows! I had a 8:30 dinner time which was a perfect time to eat because you could enjoy the islands, sit by the pool, relax and then, there was different types of shows every night for each seating, so that everyone was able to see the shows.
The island of Cococay was beautiful, the buffet was enormous, and the water was amazing! In Nassau, I did the Atlantis Beach Day, where you are taken by ferry over to the Ferry terminal, and you are given a tour of the Atlantis property. This tour provided you with a beach chair and towel. The water at the Atlantis beach was stunning! This excursion included a free lunch voucher at 2 express restaurants,and you were able to tour the property, inside and out, of the Atlantis Hotel. The straw market in Nassau is very cramped, warm, and there is absolutely no where to move. The other shops on the island are very nice, and were clean. Go to the store DEL SOL, where everything in the store changes color. The sale people in that store were upbeat, not pushy, and helped to answer questions!
On the at sea day, i would recommend getting a chair by the pool early in the morning because those chairs fill up fast. You can save a chair with a beach towel that you are provided!
The day of departure was organized, luggage was taken the night before, and you were able to pick up your luggage after going through customs the next day. Your luggage is placed on a luggage belt, according to the color group you were in, just like in the airport. I found my luggage in less than 10 minutes. The transportation to the port and back to the airport was good, very organized. I was on Deck 4, with a window stateroom. Deck 4 is the main deck, which i would defintely stay on again. There was no sewer smells on any of the decks, and I never heard anyone complain about a smell. There is a blow dryer in the room, but no iron, so I brought a travel iron. There is no clock in the room, but you can get a wake up call, which i used 2 times, and it worked out well. There were times when I forgot I was even on a ship. The sailing was extremely smooth!!!!

Pros: food-entertainment-pool-friendliness of staff-cleanliness of rooms

Cons: The straw market in Nassau

Recommends Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!