Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Good cruise, bad smell

Sail Date: August 01, 2007

Great 3 to 4 day get away, if you like to relax, Cococay is perfect and Carnival does not offer a private island. For this reason alone, I like to take Royal Caribbean over Carnival for short cruises. The big problem with this ship is the sewer smell that you get in the lower decks. I have been on this ship at least 6 times with groups of usually around 10 people, so I have had a lot of experience with the rooms. Without exception, all of the rooms that we have stayed in on the lower floors smell really bad. At first I would call maintenance about this thinking that this was a problem with my bathroom, but I soon realized that this ship has a serious septic problem. If you book this cruise, do not book below the 7th deck. You should be fine at 7 or above. I was on this ship a few weeks after they renovated it and I was very hopefull that the problem was going to be corrected, but unfortunately, they did no work on the sewer lines. So, take the ship, it is a great cruise and it is well maintained and the staff is great, but if you do take it, stay higher.

Pros: Cococay

Cons: Smell on lower decks

Recommends Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!