Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Too much smoke

Sail Date: September 11, 2006

This was our first cruise and my wife and I were very excited. First the good parts of the cruise. The food, shows, dancing lessons, and crew were all great. Coco Kay was by far the best part of the cruise. Nassau was okay but I would have rather spent less time in Nassau and return to Coco Kay for another day. The only real negative I had for the cruise was the second hand smoke. We paid for access to the entire ship but was limited to where we could go because of all the second hand smoke. We could not visit Casino Royale, the Viking Lounge, or go dancing in the Voltage because of the terrible second hand smoke. Basically, any place that had an indoor bar had a lot of second hand smoke. We could not even walk out on the Promenade deck (non-smoking side) without having to deal with the smokers. Places like Boleros, which I did attend had second hand smoke but not as bad as the other areas. My wife had some problems with her sinus because of all the second hand smoke and this really placed a damper on our cruise. There was even a lot of second hand smoke just walking down the hall to our state room. Unless Royal Caribbean has other cruises that do not allow smoking or has better facility to accommodate the non-smokers, I seriously doubt if we will ever cruise again with Royal Caribbean.

Pros: CocoKay and the shows

Cons: Cigarette smoke

Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
Only go to Nassau if you like shopping. I think you can find cheaper prices in the US. Too many folks trying to sell you things when you are just trying to sightsee. Lots of noise, people, etc.
Don't Miss: Must do the waverunner at CocoKay