Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review

I cruised Sovereign on Sept. 16, 2001. It was my second cruise and my husband's first. We went right after the terrorist attacks on the WTC and Pentagon so it was a little weird to start. Our plane was late and I called RCI to let them know. The customer service rep. was very friendly and let me know that everything would be fine. When we got to Port Canaveral, there was a bomb threat, which everyone took very seriously. We went through a hundred safety check points during embarkation. These made me feel very safe and actually took very little time. As soon as we stepped on board, all of our worries were forgotten. It is a beautiful ship with a very friendly staff. We found our room quickly and had just walked in the door when our room steward came to introduce himself. We ran into him every time we were in the hall to our room. He became a very good friend. (Thanks Denville). We actually got upgraded to a room with a porthole, much to our surprise.Everyone that writes a review says how small the rooms are. I must disagree. Our room was perfect. Well, we missed the lunch buffet because of all the weirdos in the world. So, we hung out by the pool and had some drinks before going to get ready for dinner. Dinner every night was delicious!! The only problem we had was that our waiter spoke no English and so he couldn't understand special orders. He also got my order wrong a couple of times. No big deal, I just got fried chicken instead of roasted chicken one night. And, he forgot my ice cream with my pie the next night. I will live. Everything was still delicious. The entertainment was superb. We went to every nightly show. The bar staff even knew what we wanted to drink by the 3rd night!! They would bring us drinks without even asking! Now, that is service!! The pool was fantastic. Never overcrowded and always plenty of poolside bar staff. Our day at Nassau was, well, Nassau. Been there, done that. I really think some of the cruise lines should venture away from the whole Freeport, Nassau deal. WE LOVED COCO CAY!!! It was the highlight of the trip. We did nothing all day but float in the ocean and sleep in a hammock. It was excellent! Plenty of Bar Staff there, too. The day at sea was another relaxing day. Just laid around, had the buffet for lunch (everyday), breakfast there too. The buffet was always delicious. My husband and I are both in our mid-20's so the crowd was a little old for us. It was a definite over 50 kind of cruise. But, we are "old fogies" at heart so we just fit right in. Besides, these old people know how to party. Leaving the ship was very smooth and quick. I only knocked this score down to 4 stars because of the "non-English speaking" waiter and the age of the average passenger on board. Other than that, it was a very excellent cruise. Obviously, because I am doing it again in the spring! Hope to see you then!