Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review

After long debate and seeking our friends advice, my wife and I booked our first cruise vacation on your cruise line, Royal Caribbean. Of those opinions we trusted, all had great remarks about Royal Caribean cruise liners and vacations. Unfortunately, we do not hold such an esteemed opinion aboutyour cruise line and the Sovereign of the Seas, after such a horrid experience.Within one hour of boarding, we knew we made a mistake. Our cabin was filthy. Stains on the carpet, spots and grime on the mirrors, and mold in the shower.Not only was our cabin unacceptable, but the restrooms on board the ship were lacking too. The food in the Windjammer Cafe was never more than decent and on some occasions poor and cold. Many of our friends and family raved over the food on board Royal's cruise liners from past experiences. However, I cannot say the food was ever of such claim to fame.To make matters worse, our "wonderful day" at Coco Cay was canceled due to the weather. I can understand the safety concerns, but a "day at sea" is not what I call a contingency plan, especially when we learned from the cabin attendants that this was the third week in a row the excursion was canceled. I paid to spend time at two ports, not one. And if you think giving away freescrewdrivers and bloody marys for one hour makes up for the missed port of call you are very is guided! I cannot believe that a company of your standing did not have a second option for a port of call, should Coco Cay be canceled. Obviously, the cancellation was not that unusual, if itwas the third week in a row to miss the port of call. We could have stayed in Nassau or moved onto Freeport, but just to leave us at sea on a three day cruise is absolutely unacceptable.The service on board the ship was questionable at times. At lunch, my wife had ketchup splattered on her new shirt by one of your attendants, who apologized but nothing further. Someof the staff, especially on our "day at sea" seemed to be rather short and slightly rude with us. Considering this is a service industry, I was a little more than frustrated by their abrasive manner. I will give credit where credit is due. The dinner service and food in the Kismet dining room was outstanding. All of those individuals gave excellent service at all times and deserve to be commended. However, the service in the Kismet dining room does not overshadow the rest of our cruise. Being first time cruisers, this was an even bigger disappointment, since this is the onlyexperience we have ever had with any cruise line. If Royal Caribbean is the top of the line, according to our friends and family, then I would hate to experience a vacation on a differentcruise line.