Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Great value, and lots of fun!

Sail Date: January 11, 2008

We had a great time on the Sovereign of the Seas. It is Royal Carribean's oldest ship, due to be retired at the end of this year, but it was still well-kept.

Pros: CocoCay

Cons: Windjammer Cafe (buffet)

Recommends Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

The dining room food was EXCELLENT, both in the evening and at breakfast. The staff put on a fabulous beachside buffet on CocoCay also. The only food we were disappointed in was the always-open Windjammer Cafe (buffet). It was mediocre at best both times we stopped in. There were plenty of other choices, so we decided to avoid the buffet for the remainder of the trip.
SOS is an older ship, so not large like many of the new ones, but it had a lot to offer for its size. Everything was kept very clean, and the stateroom was small (we booked one of the smallest) but had plenty of space for everything.
We booked the smallest cabin size, but found everything we needed in the room. The stateroom was well-taken care of, and the linens were comfy, too.
This is obviously where this boat really shines. They can't do anything about the age of the ship, but the staff goes above and beyond in every other area. My husband couldn't believe it when a stateroom attendant stopped in the hall to help some poor lady struggling to buckle her shoes! He sat on the floor until he got it taken care of for her!!
Our dining room waiter even surprised me with birthday cake and song on formal night (and we had not mentioned to ANYONE that I was having a birthday). This really showed the initiative of the staff to go above and beyond!
The spa on this ship is small but excellent. The staff was very friendly, welcoming, and excellent at waht they do. This is definitely a "to-do" on this ship!
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
This was our favorite part of the cruise. We took an early tender to the island so we had first dibs on lounge chairs. After staking out our spot, we explored the island a little bit, then my husband and I had a couples massage in one of the oceanfront cabanas - fabulous. The buffet was excellent - it felt like a big family reunion, even though we didn't have any family there! There were a few shops, and lots of rentals available. Me being a Floridian, I decided the water in January was too cold for me, so we didn't really use any of the water sports available. Everone around us that went out snorkeling always came up on the beach full of excitement as they returned.
Don't Miss: Get there early . . .
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
Don't Miss: Get there early . . .