Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Not much fun

Sail Date: August 01, 2008

Older ship but very good layout. Small staterooms but accurately shown on the RCCL website. Poor activities schedule. Few shows. Lots of time with nothing to do. Bad food. Expensive drinks that didn't seem to have any alchohol in them. First time cruisers should definitely stay away. I will have a hard time sailing with RCCL again after this experience.

Pros: CocoCay was great. The highlight of the cruise.

Cons: Food, activities coordinator, lack of scheduled activities

Recommends Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

Even though older, we found the ship to be relatively clean and well kept. The only areas that were really offensive were the crown lounge and the casinos because of the heavy stale cigarette smell. Very easy to navigate your way throughout the ship. Ship's pools are way too small to accomodate 2700 passengers. Forget trying to get to the hot tubs.
Food quality was really poor, about cafeteria level. The midnight buffet was really disappointing. No class, style or elegance as done on other cruises. It was a collection of leftovers from all the dinners on the cruise. And I've never seen people act so "pigishly" as at the midnight buffet. Food was everywhere.
Severely lacking! Lots to do if you are 12 or younger. Activities were clumped at the same time or held in venues which could not accomodate everyone and held only at one showing time. Activities coordinator was very loud, spoke poor english, and turned the microphone volume to its highest setting distorting her already difficult to understand speech. We couldn't sit by the pool because of her constant screaming. Very annoying woman.
My biggest complaint with the stateroom was the temp. Our temp controller did not work. I reported it on the first day to guest relations. I got a note left on my bed telling me what they reported to be the temp in our cabin. This caused my wife and I to suffer from headaches throughout the cruise.
The staff, other than guest relations, were very friendly, courteous, and responsive. The guest relations desk couldn't answer simple questions and seemed to be indifferent to the guests.