Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

First Cruise Experience

Sail Date: December 24, 2007

The ship was very impressive and luxurious. There were many different kinds of spaces to explore and enjoy the day. It was great having different dining options and all the staff on the ship were extremely helpful and accommodating.

Pros: We felt like the entire ship was our home.

Cons: We got too caught up in the schedule of events. After a couple days we found it was better to relax and not worry if we "missed" some activity.

Recommends Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

The carpets, hallways, etc. seemed a bit "worn" but I guess this ship is being replaced soon by one of the Liberty Class of ships.
The Master of Ceremonies for the entertainment was wonderful. The "Love and Marriage" show was hilarious. The singers and dancers were OK, not exceptional.
The ship staff was very friendly. The really did go out of their way to make you comfortable.
The food in the dining room was exceptional. The Windjammer buffet was OK and fine to grab breakfast or lunch, but the food was not nearly the quality of the dining room. I recommend using the dining room for breakfast. We had the 6:00 dinner and that worked out perfect. If we had the 8:30 seating, we would have missed the 9:00 shows and I would feel our evening would be cut short.
Stateroom was comfortable. Obviously a bit crowded but we really did not spend alot of time in it. We got a great discount for an "obstructed view" window (a lifeboat outside our window) but it was minimal obstruction and was fantastically better than an interior view.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
It was nice to be able to get off the ship and lie on the beach. It was annoying that everything (like snorkeling, etc.) cost extra. I do recommend the snorkeling.
Don't Miss: Snorkeling
I did some research ahead of time and came up with my own walking tour. I recommend that over just wandering around. We also went to Atlantis beaches - they were BEAUTIFUL. I recommend this, but you have to pay the $89 excursion fee to get the Atlantis wristband.