Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Nice cruise; small ship

Sail Date: July 30, 2007

This was my second time cruising and I guess I was a little spoiled on my first cruise. It was with the same company Royal Caribbean, but the ship was much larger on my first trip, Mariner of the Seas. The Sovereign of the Seas is a nice ship for first time cruisers. Easy to navigate and little chances of getting lost every time you step out of the room. One thing that I did enjoy about the smaller size of this vessel was the fact that every time I left the room I would randomly bump into someone who was part of my 20 person party.

Pros: My company! Nassau was great especially b/c it actually had a port and you did not have to wait in line for the tender. Get off and on board ship was a breeze. It was much nicer renting a taxi and going on your own tour of the island.

Cons: Only two pools for hundreds of people, mostly kids. The ship needs an adult pool section seperated from the kids area. The ship offered wonderful amenities but a lot of them were difficult to access due to long lines, ex. climbing wall.

Recommends Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

This ship needs an adult pool section seperated from the kid area. I believe one of the two pools was supposed to be designated to 18 yr old and up but that was not followed. I love kids just as much as the next person but sometimes it is nice to be able to get into the pool to cool off w/o being jumped on or kicked but a little one. Also, the size of the pools were pretty small compared to the deck area.
The dining room food was OK. Once again, not as good as the Mariner of the Seas menu selections.
Room was exactly what I expected.
The staff was great. Everyone was very friendly. The stateroom attendent did open our door twice after a short knock and not waiting for a reply, but that's okay. The bar staff goes above and beyond, ex. after ordering a top shelf margarita and challenging that the drink was not strong enough, the waitress brought over an additional shot at no extra cost.
Entertainment was good. Comedian was hilarious. Cruise ship director also had a good sense of humor.
No tendering yay!!!!!! So easy to unboard and board the ship. Shops within walking distance, taxis readily accessible, and no need to book shore excursions. Atlantis is free to visit hotel and casino area. There is a nice size aquarium in the lobby so there is no need to pay the extra $30 bucks for admission in to see the rest of what they have to offer. Public beach access just half block away from hotel where you can rent a jet ski for ~$60/hour. The cruise charges you for passenger and driver for a total of almost $90 and the tour is guided so you do not have the independence that you do when you go to one of the guys on the beach. The water here is also gorgeous.
Don't Miss: Atlantis
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
The beach and water is gorgeous here, but the island itself is an amusement park in the middle of the ocean, except w/ much fewer attractions. Tendering is always a pain. Time would be much better spent as an additional day at Nassau