Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Wouldn't cruise again

Sail Date: July 27, 2007

Never been on a cruise ship, and now I would not go again nor advise anyone else to. The cruise may be good for a family with multiple children, as there are many activities for them - and they may enjoy the cafeteria quality food - but be weary of the drunks falling all over the place. As for adults who want to relax on thier vacation, this is not the trip to take. The cruise was not at all as I expected. The smell of the ship was absolutely disgusting, a cross between stale cigarette smoke and a public locker room - I routinely sprayed my room down with perfume to kill the odor. The buffet food was maybe one step up from cafeteria quality, and the sit down dinners were not much better. My best meal of this vacation was at the airport!!! The best part of the cruise, was getting off the ship for excursions, although I did not find Nassau very appealing. Cococay, the ship's private island was beautiful, but again the food served on the island was not very good and seemed low quality, altough edible to one who has been doing water activities all day. Caution to anyone expecting to have a relaxing vacation with wonderful epicurean delights, be ready to take part of a mass feeding frenzy that takes place at the buffet - (you'd think these people never ate before,) expect to be rushed to eat at your sit down dinner, (although the staff was very friendly and accomodating, despite rushing you to finish your courses), and expect the rooms to be similar to that of a low end hotel. Perhaps, I am coming down too hard, or maybe cruises aren't for me, but I wish I would have flown into the Bahamas instead.

Pros: excursions

Cons: food, the smell of the ship

Recommends Sovereign of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

The smell, as mentioned of above, was horrendous. The dining was nice looking - and smelled better. Reminded me alot of a cheap casino though. There should be outside smoking and non smoking areas on the deck, I found this to be an issue as I have respitory issues.
Despite my negative comments above, the staff seemed to be very helpful and friendly, especially the dining room staff...I enjoyed speaking with them.
One step up from cafeteria food, big selection but lower quality. Ambience was decent in the dining room, but I was rushed to order my meal, and to eat.
The room smelled and was not very attractive.
The excursions were very good.
I did not bring children on this ship, but from what I can tell, there was alot for them to do.
For me it was a waste of time, they had some nice high shopping but also a bunch of cheesey souvenir shops. From this port we took another boat to another island to take part of the dolphin encounter, which was great for all ages
Don't Miss: dolphin encounter
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
This was best part of the trip, island was beautiful, although the food could be alot better. We rented jetskis, and that was great. Must rent a floating raft, and get to the island early as possible to get a hammock or a good spot close to a palm tree, as these seats fill up first. Snorkeling here would be great, you can see some of the tropical fish without even wearing goggles. Served a bbq buffet, some of it was ok - again mediocre quality.
Don't Miss: Jetskis, snorkeling, relaxing on a water raft, have a frozen coco loco