Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Alaska cruise

Sail Date: August 20, 2006

The ship was absolutely beautiful. I was amazed that after spending 7 days on the boat we weren't able to do everything that we wanted to. I guess that means is that I'll have to go again soon!

Pros: The ship! So much to do.

Cons: The weather and bingo..

As a picky eater I was very happy with the ability of the dining room to accomidate. The choices were well rounded and I was amazed at the ability of the staff to prepare much food for so many people and for it to be able to so nicely presented and perfectly cooked.
We had a balcony room and it was much bigger than I expected. Everyone had me prepared to be sleeping in a room the size of a broom closet and we had a double bed AND a couch in the room. I was especially impressed with the shower. While small it was still maneuverable and I couldn't believe the water pressure. You could also take a hot shower as long as you wanted, the water didn't cool off. Much better than some four star hotels I've stayed in!
The staff on a cruise ship has to be of a special calibur. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. We did have to avoid one bartender who was TOOOOO friendly
The variety show's just never seemed to peak my interest enough to go. There were so many other more interesting things to attend. And when the shows were early they interfered with our pre-dinner nap. We loved the Safari bar and it's activites.
Ketchikan, Alaska
Our first flight seeing/jet boat trip was cancelled due to mechanical failure and our alternate flight seeing trip of Misty Fjords was almost cancelled. It should have been because the visibility was so low we really didn't get to experience the awe of the fjords that I have seen photos of. We were really disappointed in the lack of wildlife sightings on our whole trip.
Don't Miss: shopping and Fat John's hole in the wall bar with some killer martini's which helped with the shopping.
Skagway, Alaska
We took the 4X4 jeep ride. It wasn't exactly what we expected as we had to drive an hour to get to the 4x4 ride up a mountain. Also, the majority of the ride was under the cover of fog so we were not able to enjoy any scenery. We did get some beautiful views once we got into the Yukon territory.
Don't Miss: shopping
Ketchikan, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Our sea kayaking trip was cancelled due to low visibility so we took a Mendenhall Glacier visit/Whale watching cruise. After seeing the Hubbard Glacier up close from the ship the Mendenall Glacier was no big deal. Also we saw more Whales off of the side of the ship on the way to Ketchikan than we did on the cruise. The sea lions were quite a site though.
Don't Miss: n/a