Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Great Cruise

Sail Date: January 19, 2008

The ship, not the biggest afloat, was easy to get around and very attractive in appearance. Cleanliness and attention to detail were obvious.

Pros: Itinerary, devotion to customer service

Cons: Disembarkation at end of cruise

Recommends Serenade of the Seas? Yes!

I think the quality of the food has gone downhill a bit. The pastries/breads were probably the most mediocre. I did like the portion size and the attention given on menu selections to healthier eating.
I liked the looks of the stateroom, its cleanliness and its excellent organization. The soundproofing between rooms and the hallways was exceptional Although we had an interior cabin, by choice, I still was impressed at how comfortable the room was.
The evening entertainment was not exceptional. Several of the shows were mediocre at best. The two production shows were okay but not up to the quality I had experienced previously on Royal Caribbean. The choreography was particularly bad.
The entire staff - everyone you encounter - was terrific. One exception - the Crown & Anchor Society folks who were arrogant and projected a take it or leave it attitude about booking future cruises. When I cruise again, I'll make my own arrangements rather than work through them. But these people were the exception to truly outstanding staff friendliness and service.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
I enjoyed our historical overview of the island and was impressed by the fact that our driver, which made recommendation re: shopping, was really right about the good prices to find in Marigot. Also, another great walk to and from the ship from the shopping area/boardwalk. I even found the shopping here to be much more pleasant.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
I didn't enjoy this port much - everything, even the shore excursions, are focused on shopping. I did like the walk to town - walking along the harbor. But even the store people were less than welcoming. We didn't stay long.
Don't Miss: N/A
St. John's, Antigua
Had a terrific guide - Angie - on the shore excursion. I think the views of places like Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard aren't to be missed. Also enjoyed visiting the main Anglican church in town.
Don't Miss: Views from Shirley Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, etc.
Castries, St. Lucia
Very surprised at the lushness of the island - some great views from the heights - learned a lot about bananas, enjoyed the fishing village stop despite the obvious poverty.
Bridgetown, Barbados
Had a tour guide that never came up for air - Michael - but at the same time he did provide a lot of information. Not thrilled with the rum distillery - hard to hear the guide although she was very charming.
Don't Miss: Mahogony carving site