Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

This was our first cruise...

Sail Date: September 26, 2011

Room Type: Suite

This was our first cruise and it could not have been more perfect. The ship was beautiful, the shore excursions were great with very knowlegable guides who were also very personable. The pre-cruise stay in Athens was somewhat dampered by the strikes and a couple ofmistakesby our TA about transfers---plus my purse got stolen!!!! The King George Hotel people could also have been a little more helpful ---we thought some of the staff were snooty and rude!!
But back to the cruise---friendly staff and guests--not everyone called us by name or immediately had our favorite drink ready--but it was fine with us--the important person, our stewardess, whom we called Little Bee knew us and the bar servise was always prompt when we ordered--when I#39;ve read compliants about those two things I just have to laugh and say WHO CARES about such nitty things.
I found that by switching from one place to eat to the other gave a huge variety to our meals--we didn#39;t try Resturant 2--but two people that we met from our own state had eaten there twice and said it was fabulous. The only slight problem that we experienced was that sometimes the food--esp. from the buffet was not quite as warm as it should be--the warming trays didn#39;t seem to work as well as they should.
We did use the Spa and it was GREAT!!! Luke did wonders with my stressed, tense neck---would have loved to have had one each day---but so little time and so little money does prevent that.
We did enjoy the combo that played in the Club before dinner--we were too tired afterward to go to anything else because we had an excursion scheduled every morning. Lisa was also good at the piano.
Maybe the crowd warmed up later and danced but we were the only couple on the floor earlier. No one even seemed to notice so we didn#39;t feel embarrassed doing the solo routine.
Did not even go in the casino--didn#39;t appear that many did when passing by.
Saw a few young children the first day---so cute and well behaved--then never saw them again!! Don#39;t know what they did but it was not in our range.
Anyway, to make a point, the post cruise stay in Istanbul was like going from the penthouse to the outhouse--again our TA messed up transfers and booked us in a hotel that the room and bathroom were about half the size of the suite and BR on ship!!!! Again only to make the cruise the most wonderful part of the whole sheebang!
I think I#39;ve covered most bases--we did put down a deposit for another cruise, hopefully, to Northern Europe in August on one of the smaller ships---hope itequals the Big Boy in comparison.
I would say again first cruise but I don#39;t think we would consider another cruiseline---definitley another TA, though.

Recommends Seabourn Odyssey? Yes!

size,comfort, totally top drawer
good variety at different resturants
good selections of what we saw
did not see any except first day--don't know
always prompt always gracious
used the spa great massage
beautiful places