A Relaxing Cruise

Scarlet Lady Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Scarlet Lady

5 Night Riviera Maya (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 07, 2021

Ship: Scarlet Lady

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

I did not know what to expect on my first adults only cruise and was willing to see what the changes to the dining were. I thought it was a very relaxing 5 night cruise, loved the inclusiveness of the cruise fare, Specialty dining, WI-FI, non-alcoholic beverages included, but thought hot chocolate should’ve been included also. I can accept paying extra for all alcoholic beverages since everybody doesn’t drink alcohol. Food was great at every dining venue, so too were the drinks. I enjoyed brunch and High Tea. Beautiful ship, very good entertainment, I thought the music selections by this DJ were great unlike those on the other cruise lines, small pool and hot tub, but all in all, I love the experience, even more so that capacity was capped at 50% and everyone onboard was fully vaccinated. I will be back on another Virgin cruise.

Embarkation

Embarkation was a tad slow but not bad. There was a small back up boarding after people ahead of us got their COVID test results. When it was our turn, we walked right on to the ship.

Ship experiences

Virgin’s ships do not have a Main Dining Room or Buffet as we know the buffet. There are 20 restaurants onboard, 6 are Reservation required Specialty Dining restaurants, included in the cruise fare, and other non reservation required dining venues. You seat yourself at a table in The Galley, a waiter or waitress comes, take your order(scan QR Code)for menu or ask for one, and bring your food to your table. Food was phenomenal at each restaurant. If you’re a foodie, you’ll love Scarlet Lady’s dining experiences. They do an excellent job of clearing and cleaning each table after the previous occupants leave and the area is kept clean. Same goes for the Specialty Restaurants.

We saw the Show Duelling something, don’t recall the full name now but it was very good. The other show I’m told was quite risqué so we opted not to go. Pool is small, Gym equipment is new and in very good condition, lots of outdoor activities up on deck 16 to enjoy.

Service was excellent, crew and Staff were pleasant and willing to help. The lack of unnecessary announcements was very much appreciated. The lack of daily paper advertisements of jewellery sales, spa specials, etc was welcomed. I loved going to the App for everything.

Excellent, everywhere was clean and well-maintained. I wouldn’t expect anything less, it’s a new ship. The layout isn’t complicated, it’s very simple. I did like the Roundabout, great name for the location.

I had a Solo Sea View forward facing cabin that was a bit European in design but not far off from the norm. The room was very nice, the bed very comfortable, I slept like a baby. The shower area was large with both a wall mounted hand held piece and a Rain Shower head above me. I found the sink in the bathroom to be very shallow, was easy for water to splash onto the floor. There is a tablet which controls the Mood lighting in the cabin, AC, curtains and television. The AC curtains and TV can also be controlled by thermostat, wall mounted switch and remote. There is adequate closet and shelf space for clothes and luggage. There’s no space under the bed it’s a platform base bed. I loved my cabin a lot.

Ship tip

Have an open mind, do not come with a lot of expectations.

Ports of call

The Beach Club (Virgin Voyages), Bimini Bahamas

This was my first trip to The Beach Club in Bimini and I enjoyed the day just lazing on the beach and enjoying the very very clear cool water. It was refreshing. Very nice facilities and Caribbean food. I had the Curry Pumpkin meal with Corn cob and Rum Cake. Later, I had the Caribbean Curry Chicken with Roti, oh, so delicious. I also sampled the Red Snapper on a fig leaf, with pepper sauce, tasty. Washed it all down with a glass of Coca Cola. The ship’s DJ played great music at the Beach Club, weather was great, sun with a slight coolness in the air.

Scarlet Lady docked at the Punta Langosta pier Downtown Cozumel. We boarded the ferry to Playa Del Carmen for an approximately 45 minute ride over. We got off in Playa, walked dow 5th Ave, stopped at a Park extending to the beach, took pictures, then went to a store and bought vanilla and Mexican Pepper sauce on sale. We then walked a short distance away and found a nice Mexican restaurant and had tacos, Guacamole and Pico with nachos and salsa, cheese nachos with Pico and jalapeños and Coca Cola and Corona beer I’d been to Punta Langosta and 5th A e before, so it wasn’t new to me. After our lunch meal, we made our way back to the ferry pier to head back to Cozumel. Great weather, not too warm.

Miami, Florida

I did not do an excursion as I’m local to the area. Generally, Miami, especially Miami Beach hasn’t been having a good reputation lately, so I don’t go to Miami unless I have to.

Disembarkation

Two words, Very easy. It couldn’t be any easier.