Sapphire Princess Cruise Review to Mexico

Cruiser from the desert

Sail Date: April 01, 2010

Best things: Booked in a last minute. Princess allocated us a great balcony cabin exceeded our expectations; Came to San Pedro (LA port). Extremely efficient checking, we got into our cabin from parking our car in 20 mins. Staff (Dining room, room care taker) is extremely friendly, nice, professional, and efficient. They are the best part of this cruise. Their service made us feel great, compensated for some of the bad food. (majority of the food is great!) The orientation, ship emergency drills, and all went very smoothly and professionally done. very impressive compare to other cruiselines. Dining room service is professional, relaxing, and well attended to. One best thing I liked about this cruise is very few announcements, limited 2- 3 per day, mostly when we arrive or departing from a port. That was nice. On the activities side, my first 2 days went in relaxing and enjoying the view from my cabin. I ventured out to the fitness place, it is too crowded; very old machines, definitely not in 2010s. The sauna and other facilities were great. The guests on the ship are mature adults, generally 50+, well behaved, quite, just what I was looking for. I had a great relaxing time, spend quality time with my wife, read a book, visited 3 towns in Mexico - Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. Definitely nice time of the year, great weather, took walks around the beach, visited Walmart (right across ship dock); Met a great tour guide/van driver Jesus "Washington" who showed us in and around Mazatlan; great guy, made us feel all better; Cabos is too touristy; weather is great; ocean views are memorable, all in all great cruise. I recommend this strongly; For those who want to relax and have a great time, Princess does a great job.

Things need improvement: Entertainment is not that great. Movies were ok. Theater projection system needs improvement. For a 7 day cruise, they need to improve on entertainment. TV programs in the room are pretty bad. BBC and CNN world makes you feel you really are out of USA. (that means too foriegn for 90% of the guests on the ship). On the food side, mostly ok, they need to introduce some ethinc food. UK, Italian, and French is great, but we are cruising Mexican Riviera, come on, no spicy salsa, no Mexican delicacies or Chinese or Thai or Indian. All I am saying is things are NOT bad; but they can improve.

Pros: Staff; 5 star service; Efficient check in and check out; Value

Cons: Entertainment needs improvement; No ethnic food; too european

Recommends Sapphire Princess? Yes!

Food is ok. Not the best not the worst; Dining room and facilities are excellent; Staff is the best; Food quality can improve;
needs more and better
Very clean, great public areas. Layout is ok. You have to orient yourself a bit but was not bad.
Excellent stateroom
Best staff in the dining room, in the buffet area, room cleaning, check in/out, all around