Sapphire Princess Cruise Review to Mexico

Beautiful ship!

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

As of 12/26/09, the Sapphire is a beautiful, well-run ship. The food was fantastic, especially in the specialty restaurants. Our cabin, P311, an oceanview, was a decent size for the price paid. Every staff member I can remember was courteous and responded quickly to my requests. Entertainment was excellent overall and there were plenty to do on ship days.

Pros: food

Cons: not enough announcements on the time change in PV, Mexico

Recommends Sapphire Princess? Yes!

The Sapphire is big enough to find your own space, but small enough to not be overwhelming. There was always a little nook or couch I could find and not see anyone else for awhile. It was my first time on Sapphire, and naturally after a day or 2 of getting my bearings, the ship was easy to navigate. I didn't find a single stained carpet (I looked!) or chipped or worn furniture. Tasteful decor. I don't remember seeing a single spill left sitting. Ship for the most part was accessible. I would have given this a superior but for 2 things. I remember there was a set of elevators near midship that didn't go to one floor. You had to go down to go up. Also, the group of 5 elevators at the atrium had separate up/down buttons for each. Pushing an up button didn't activate all of them. So you had to push 3 buttons to activate all of them. Or you could look up the screen that showed what deck they were currently on and press that one only.
We ate in the 4 specialty restaurants for dinner except for one night. Everything I ate in those were fantastic. Our night in the buffet was just okay. There were 2 or 3 dishes that weren't very good. We went back to the restaurants after that. Breakfast and lunch buffet were both decent, but not as fantastic as Santa Fe, etc. There was good variety, lot of fish, chicken and beef, along with veggie dishes. We had anytime dining, which I liked a lot. There were 2 of us, so we didn't have to sit with the same group of strangers the whole time. We were seated at a table for 2, which we preferred. Everyone said make reservations, but unless you want to eat at a specific time, I don't think it was necessary. We were given pagers 2 nights and didn't wait more than 20 minutes. There are always things you can do while waiting, like looking at the embarkation pictures or taking a stroll on the deck. I loved the fajitas at Santa Fe. We didn't eat at the 2 specialty restaurants.
Our oceanview, P311 was large enough to fit 2 comfortably. Decorated nicely. TV was nice to have when I wanted to relax. Beds were a bit hard and we both requested egg crates, which helped the situation. Great condition, no chipped furniture or stained carpet. Our room was right by the art gallery and close to the atrium. I found that it was slightly faster taking the elevators by the front, as they went to the 15th deck, whereas the atrium elevators didn't.
Every staff member was friendly, some said "good morning/evening" when passing. Everyone was knowledgeable and wanted to help quickly. What made this rating superior was the wine and beverage manager in Santa Fe. I requested a dish on New Year's eve dinner for the following night. He said he'd get back to me. After we had finished eating, he hadn't come back to confirm. Figuring he was too busy, we left. We were completely out of the restaurant when he ran through the atrium to find us and told us it had gone through! If that's not "above and beyond", I don't know what is!
Entertainment-wise, don't go expecting Broadway-quality. The singers, dancers, effects were excellent, yes. But not the quality I've seen on Broadway. There were 2 performance shows, I attended both. Music was a mix, mostly songs from the 50's-'80's, aimed toward the majority of the audience of pre-retirees. As a 30-year old, I recognized most songs. There was always something to do at night. Sea days were full of things to do. Movies, Wii activities, demonstrations, talks, as well as the usual cruise activities like the pools and gym.