DON'T SHOP DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL!

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review to Mexico

Sail Date: November 01, 2009
Ship: Sapphire Princess
I never took a cruise before so I had nothing to compare to. Based on what I heard, I thought everything would be "swankier" than it was. Best thing was the casino. Worst things were the beds (terribly uncomfortable) and the food in Horizon Court. Big disappointment with the food -- I was told that is the highlight of any cruise.

Also, final trip back to LA was HORRIBLE. No one can control rough seas, but that coupled with the captain high-tailing it back to the US made for a VERY wavy ride. We stayed in bed the entire day trying to keep our stomachs in check. Met a lady in the elevator who said she'd been on 30 cruises, and that day was the WORST she'd ever experienced on a cruise.

Worst part -- shopping at Diamonds International. Emma Dyson, the on board shopping coordinator kept touting how good the deals were and to only shop at cruise-approved stores (which DI was). Bought an engagement ring there only to come home and learn we overpaid by $4500+. We started researching this and there's tons of stuff on the Web about how bad DI scams travelers. It ruined what should have been a really happy time. My recommendation -- keep your money in your pocket -- don't shop at cruise-approved stores, especially DI. They're rotten!

Horrible in Horizon Court. Worse that a chain restaurant buffet. Food in the dining rooms was better, but not "knock your socks off" like I was told. It was as good (maybe) as any Chili's, Applebee's, or TGI Fridays.

We got bored. Only so much sun bathing and gambling in the casino you can do. Went to a couple shows...the magic show was decent but the productions are awful...so bad they make you laugh.

Nice employees but not overly outgoing.

A little tough to get around. Certain areas are only accessible off of certain decks. Everything was kept clean and tidy.

Rooms were clean, but bed was awful. We were sore the entire time...and we're only in our 30's.

Pros: Hot weather

Cons: Getting scammed at Diamonds International & a bad ride back to LA

Recommends Sapphire Princess? No.