Ryndam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Purser

Ryndam, March 22, 2015, 7 Night Western Caribbean from Tampa, FL

Sail Date: March 22, 2015

This was my first time on Holland America.  I wanted to try a cruise line that has a long, dependable reputation for elegant service.  I was not disappointed for the most part.

Although I had an inside cabin, it was the largest and most comfortable of any ship I have been on (10+ cruises under my belt).  Twin beds were very comfortable and wide enough. Lights for the cabin were right behind the bed so that was convenient. Bathroom was bigger than any of the other ships on which I have traveled. Two people could actually stand at the sink at the same time! Food was not as plentiful as expected nor was the quality any better than most of the ships I have been on.  Lido deck food was just as good as the dining room food.  If you want room service, be aware that it may take an hour to get your food.  Additionally, you may get the wrong order so you may have to reorder or eat what you get.  Sometimes, they get the order wrong and you get extra food you did not expect, but which is delectable.

Shipboard activities were great and you can actually get into the pools, not just your toe in.  There was plenty of room and the pools were bigger than any other ship I have been on.  If you are in a more mature age group (over 50/60 onward), you will appreciate that the pool areas were not dominated by a party crowd and music on deck was more fitting for a more mature crowd.  Caribbean music abounded, but not blaring hip-hop.

Entertainment by the house entertainers was better than I had experienced with other cruise lines.  Again, it seemed that the entertainment, genre and songs were geared to a more mature audience (upper 40's onward).

I am anticipating going on Holland America again soon. Unfortunately, it won't be on the Ryndam, because it has been sold.  However, I am sure that the other Holland America ships will be just as pleasant.

Service was lacking in some areas and the food quality was fair to good. Lido deck was better in some ways than the dining room.
Ari from Indonesia who was very friendly, hospitable, and went out of his way to be of service. He even made me a special decaf iced team on several nights
Very talented showmen and showwomen, with the exception of the lead singer in the HALcats who couldn't stay on key
Children's Programs did not utilize
Room was very good and comfortable and large for an interior. Service was fair.
Tampa, Florida
Key West, Florida
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
lots of excursions; have been here before; this time took an amazing chairlift that dropped us on Mahogany Bay Beach that has all of the amenities, including shade trees and a restaurant
Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala
interesting but dirty and buggy
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
loved that the port not only had an outside "mall" but had a small beach and huge pool for use of the visitors at no cost

Take advantage of the peaceful Lower Promenade deck where there are wooden loungers in the style of the early 1900's voyages transatlantic. Pads were available for the chairs and you could catch a nap or catch up on reading. No other ship I have been on had this feature with loungers on the side

1 Comment