Ryndam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Awesome 6-night western Caribbean cruise

Sail Date: January 02, 2012

This was my third cruise overall and first with Holland America. The Ryndam was overall in excellent condition and very clean. I saw crew dusting even out-of-the way places, cleaning glass and railings until they sparkled, etc.

Pros: Service, food, friendly crew, entertainment...

Cons: Going home at the end of the trip

Recommends Ryndam? Yes!

Buffets are served on the Lido deck with plenty of seating indoors, outdoors and poolside. There was a good variety of choices to meet almost any palate: salads, sandwiches, Asian, hot items, and of course several desserts. The Caribbean BBQ on the Lido Deck by the pool was a highlight. We also ate in the main Rotterdam dining room for several meals; each night there are two special items created by a master chef such as Marcus Samuelsson. The service was impeccable and all of our meals eaten there were excellent. We also ate dinner once at their specialty Pinnacle Grill; there is a modest surcharge for meals here. Pinnacle has a 1400 degree grill, and my 24 oz Porterhouse was one of the best that I've eaten anywhere.
Our inside stateroom on the lower promenade deck was spotlessly clean, had sufficient storage, and the bed was quite comfortable.
I can't say enough good things about the Ryndam's crew. Our waiters were always had great menu advice and were very concerned that we got maximum enjoyment. Our cabin steward was very friendly and helpful. The front office staff were efficient, friendly and helpful as well. We took the time to chat with these people and get to know them; they'd greet us by name whenever we saw them anywhere on the ship. We always felt welcome onboard.
There were plenty of activities for everyone in our family. My wife took several classes in the technology center (photo editing, movie making, sharing photos, etc.) and enjoyed them very much. There was music for every taste: string quartet, piano trio, guitarist, pianist, DJ... Our usual problem was deciding which of the many options to choose. Evening shows in the Showroom at Sea were quite good; I'd recommend arriving early for the 8pm show as it was much more crowded than the 10pm show. The ship has a Culinary Arts Center that is basically a theater with a full kitchen on the stage. I went to a couple of demonstrations that were quite enjoyable. I also took two hands-on cooking classes there (about 10-12 people in each) where we cooked a meal alongside one of their talented chefs and then ate that for lunch. Each participant in the class received a Holland America kitchen apron as a souvenir. The cost was $29 and well worth it.