Rotterdam Cruise Review to Europe - Western Europe

Rotterdam cruise ship rotterdam to athen

Sail Date: September 14, 2006

We have cruised Holland America before, it has been our favorite cruise line.
While the food was excellent , the overall cleanliness of the ship and our room was not up to Holland's usual standards. The automatic tipping seemed to affect the crews attitute. While some of the crew were great, others were not so nice. It's not the money we always tip more than was taken out. You really notice the difference with the breakfast and lunch personel since they don't have any particular connection with you and some were downright rude. On the other hand the bar staff was exceptionally nice. We noticed a number of places where the carpets weren't clean, the outside deck chairs needed cleaning. Also some scheduled events didn't come off on time or didn't come off at all. I wouldn't complain as much if we weren't used to much better from Holland. Our room toilet backed up several times each day for the last 8-9 days of the trip mentioned it a couple of times to our stewardand the front desk but nothing happened. Wasn't overly impressed with the side trips, one that concerned me was our trip to Rome. On the way back I was sitting where I could observe our driver and while I wasn't real happy about his continual talking on his cell phone I was really concerned when he was dialing his cell phone and steering the bus with his elbows and knees.

Pros: Good food

Cons: Cleanliness of ship, room, attitude of some people