Queen Mary 2 Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Queen Mary 2 Anniversary Cruise

Sail Date: July 01, 2011

I expected more out of a luxury liner like the Queen Mary 2, but other cruises we've been on were much more luxurious. The help wasn't very friendly...maybe because they automatically take the tip out each day for their staff....then they don't have to perform because they already have their money...no incentive to give good service. I also didn't like the fact that I had to pay 15% gratuity just to buy a bottle of water on the ship....that should have been included...or the fact that if you wanted soda you had to buy a "Soda Pack" at $4.95 a day plus 15% gratuity. Really! I paid good money for this cruise not to be tipped to death! There are some things that should be included like the water and soda! The shopping on board was very expensive and the wonderful sales tables they have on other cruises at great prices were mostly filled with stuff I wouldn't buy at a flea market! We were on our 40th anniversary cruise and this one certainly didn't deliver compared to domestic cruise ships. Not doing the QM2 again!

Pros: Can't say there's anything I liked the most about the cruise. Meals were on par with average buffets...not what you'd expect from a great liner.

Cons: Because tips are taken from you on your ship charges daily the staff seemed not to care as much because they got their tip anyway. They were not very cordial. The meals were substandard for a great liner. Having been on other cruise ships this one really let us down. The onboard shopping was bad.

Recommends Queen Mary 2? No.

Chef Ramsey would be appaled at the quality of food served.
Could have been friendlier. Always in the way and no "Excuse Me's". Sometimes bordering on rude.
I have to admit the ship was large and was very clean.
Not as many options as other ships.
Boston, Massachusetts
Loved Boston...would go back. We took the "duck" tour and our guide was definetly political in his speech on tour. Didn't care for that. Otherwise we had a good time in Boston. it was the 4th of July and was pretty crowded as was expected. Only way to see fireworks was from inside the ship in their theater as if we had stayed in town to view we would not have made it back to the ship before the ship left port.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We weren't told when we booked this hop on and hop off tour that the town would be closed (Sunday) until 12:30 p.m. We had to be back on the ship at 4. We would have taken another tour to an outlying area had we known. Wasted money. Our tour was at 9:30 a.m.
Don't Miss: Who knows...everything was closed!