2 sectors of the Queen Elizabeth world cruise (Melbourne to Hong Kong) 2016

Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review to World Cruise

Contributor Level: Cruise Director

121 World Voyage (Southampton Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 10, 2016
Ship: Queen Elizabeth

I have just returned from completing 2 sectors of the world cruise on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth.  We boarded in Melbourne, which was a bit of luxury in itself as we usually fly to overseas destinations to board the Cunard cruises.

Seeing parts of Australia was not bad, although I just used the ports to visit friends, however the least impressive part of this leg of the journey was the number of drunken, rude Australians who were on board with us.  (I should add that I am Australian, which is why is was all the more mortifying for us).

Many of the ports were maiden calls for this ship so we were warmly welcomed at various ports, including Newcastle where I was interviewed on ABC breakfast radio (by a dear friend) about the trip.

The highlight of the trip were the many Asian ports, including Nagasaki and Hiroshima, where supremely professional and moving performances were put on for us by the locals when we were departing.  It was also a bonus to see Rabaul, New Guinea and I was surprised and impressed with the Philippines and South Korea as well.

The food in the Britannia restaurant was not as good as usual.

Well below par in comparison with previous voyages.

We didn't get here as Cunard decided it wasn't safe but we were never given further details. We went to Puerta Princesa instead.