Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

Our Hawaiian Cruise

Sail Date: June 18, 2007

I thought the ship was great. It seemed very clean and had easy to follow signs to help you get around on board. I thought the shows and activities were great. It seemed like there was always something going on.

Pros: Ports of call

Cons: Food

Recommends Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED)? No.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
This island is touted to having the best snorkeling. So I went on the Captain Zodiac raft excursion. It was very fun but we were not taken to a great snorkeling site. I am comparing to Caribbean snorkeling so Hawaii may not compare. But I was glad I went. I picked up 10% Kona coffee at the Kona Walmart and got a great deal compared to the gift shops.
Don't Miss: Be sure to pick up some Kona coffee and go snorkeling
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Don't Miss: Be sure to pick up some Kona coffee and go snorkeling
Kahului, Maui
We were here for 2 days. The first day we rented a Mustang convertible and drove the road to Hana. First of all, it was fortunate for us that we rented the car ahead of our trip since there were none available for the passengers who waited. Secondly, I wish someone would have told us that there is NOTHING in Hana. It took us 2 hours to drive the 50 miles because it is very hazardous, but beautiful driving in the mountains. We stuck it out because we figured there must be a point to driving to Hana. We got there to find not even a good restaurant. We ate some really bad food and then drove 2 hours back. My suggestion is to drive partway to Hana to experience the road and then turn around after about a half hour and go back. Our second day we went to a luau at The Royal Lahaina Resort. We had heard that it was very authentic and better than the one supported by Norwegian. We were very disappointed. We paid $70. a piece and were herded into an area with about 500 people. Terrible food.
Nawiliwili, Kauai
Definitely the best port. The most beautiful island. We are already making plans to return to just Kauai for a week. There is so much to see. Again, we rented the convertible (again I suggest this before you leave home as they were all gone again). We went to all the great spots on our own and were able to get a lot in. We drove Waimea canyon (very scary driving but awesome to see), Wailua falls (very beautiful) and wonderful beaches. The second day we chilled on board at the pool. The 6 hour time difference stuck with us all week.
Don't Miss: Waimea canyon, Wailua falls
Kahului, Maui
Nawiliwili, Kauai
Don't Miss: Waimea canyon, Wailua falls
Hilo, Hawaii
We arrived here 2 days after a significant earthquake. The Volcano Natl Park was closed that day, but we arrived, fortunately, 2 days later and were able to visit. It was breathtaking. We were able to feel the heat from under the earth and when we left port, the captain took us past Mt Kileuau (sp) because it was erupting. We could see the red lava way off in the darkness. Awesome.
Don't Miss: Volcano National Park