Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

Go to enjoy Hawaii, not the cruise!

Sail Date: August 01, 2006

This was our 4th cruise overall, but our first with NCL. I would not go on another NCL cruise after experiencing this one. However, we had always wanted to see Hawaii, and for that in and of itself, the trip was worth it. This cruise had a nice itinerary since you got to visit so many islands. The ship itself is attractive. However, our room was filthy from day one. While our bed was made each day, our towels were not replaced even when they were placed on the floor. We were out of soap and shampoo for several days. I found the supply closet and finally helped myself. I had bought soap at Wal-mart in the meantime! Additionally, the food was the worst food we have had on a cruise. We made reservations at the restaurants on our first evening, which is a must with Freestyle cruising. Do not be fooled! It is not "Eat where you want, when you want." It is, "Make reservations the first night or eat in the buffet." We often waited over 30 minutes for a soda pop at the restaurants only to have my spouse have to get up, go to a bar, and serve us himself.

I will recommend that you rent a car and drive on your own along the coast in Maui. The sights are incredible. We did the Road to Hana on our own by renting a Mustang Convertible for $59. It was totally worth it. Also, we booked the Sunrise Downhill Biking Excursion through NCL in Maui. This was amazing and is an absolute Must See! The excursion leaves at 2:45 a.m. You go to the top of a volcano to Haleakala Crater and watch the sun rise above the clouds at almost 10,000 feet above sea level. Then you bike ride 28 miles down the volcano. It was incredible!!! I have never experienced anything like it in my life and would highly recommend it. We have awesome pictures to show for it.

Overall, if you are going to see Hawaii, cruising is a fabulous way to do so. If you choose the Pride of Hawaii, don't set your expectations too high. Go to experience the sights and beauty of Hawaii and the people there.

Pros: Visiting the islands, beautiful scenery

Cons: Service and food on the ship

Recommends Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED)? No.