Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

Great way to see Hawaii-- but NCL subpar

Sail Date: August 01, 2006

We loved the opportunity to settle in one room and be ferried to four islands without repacking. Pride of Hawaii is new and beautiful functional ship. As veterans of more than thirty cruises this has to be at the bottom in terms of service, indifference of staff and medicore food even in premium charge specialty restaurants. The Paiolo and Jasminse Teppanyaki wer execeptions. We had a suite and the only energy or visibility of the butler was his crass effort to extract a tip. Breakfast service in grand pacific was good although food was still so-so. I never knew you could make tough Belgian waffles. The show magician was so unsklled that you (even my grankdkids) could see the flowers he was about to make "appear" from under a cloth. I do not know whether it is the American crew--none of whom we met was planning to take a renewal contract, or the mandatory $10 per day tipping yielding apathy or what but if I were rating our cruise experiences I would give Crystal a 9-10, Princess and HAL 7-8, RCCL 5-6 and NCL about a 3. Does NCL stand for Nobody Cares Less?

Pros: Itinerary is great and efficient;Hawaii lava flow and Kauaii Napoli only possible through cruise

Cons: Pride of Hawaii is wonderful ship with indifferent staff, poor service and mediocre food even in premium restaurants. Entertainment is below level of competitive lines