Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

First Cruise Experience

Sail Date: August 28, 2006

This was my first cruise ever. I love the fact that we saw every island in Hawaii, we now know which ones we like best and what we would do again. However, I probably wouldn't do another cruise based on this experience. The freestyle dining was a good idea but I don't think it worked out as well as we had hoped. The ship was BEAUTIFUL!! Pretty much all the staff we came into contact with were very nice and helpful! We were NOT happy about the cover charges in the specialty restaurants, this was supposed to be all food inclusive and to me, to pay a cover charge, is pretty much to pay for your meal. This was not brought to our attention when we booked the cruise, and if we knew this we wouldn't have gone on it. We paid enough money to get the perks of the cruise and this just added to the expenses we did not expect to pay. Also, there was nothing interesting to do on the ship between the hours of 6-12. I know there were dance clubs for teens, something for the kids, and stuff seniors would enjoy, but nothin was offered for the younger 20-30 year old people. We found ourselves in bed by 10 because we were bored half to death.

Pros: The ship was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Cons: The fact that it was an all inclusive meal plan and we had to pay a cover charge to all the specialty restaurants. This was never mentioned to us.

We were very bored by 8:00 after dinner. There wasn't really anything for us to do. The show's the crew put on were not good, they had theme nights like ballroom dancing, and old country line dancing, but no one was there. We're 26 and hung around with a few people the same age, and we were very disapointed with the entertainment. I know there was dancing at 12 but by the time that came we were so bored that we just went back to our stateroom and went to bed.
Every staff member we came accross were very helpful and friendly. We expecially enjoyed the golf pro. He helped us so much in choosing which course we should play at.
Food was OK. Very hard to get a reservation at a specialty restaurant, but not happy with cover charges. Food in the specialty restaurants was excellent though. The buffet however was always interesting. Every day they ran out of silverwear and food, not acceptable.
As I said before, the ship was AMAZING! very clean and pretty. No matter how big it was it was always easy to get around because of all the signs pointing us in the right direction.
Stateroom was really good. We had an excellent floor person that cleaned our room everyday and left it spotless. We love the balcony, and we didn't even feel as though we were moving when the ship was sailing.
Kahului, Maui
I LOVED Maui!! This is one island i would go back to if I got the chance to see more. We golfed at this island and that was absolutely beautiful!! we also did a zip line tour that was really fun as well.
Don't Miss: Zip Line through the volcano.
Kahului, Maui
Don't Miss: Zip Line through the volcano.
Hilo, Hawaii
Hilo was pretty, however I don't feel like we had enough time there to see what we wanted to see. We did the kayak tour which was excellent, i would definately recomend that to others.
Don't Miss: Kayak Tour
Hilo, Hawaii
Don't Miss: Kayak Tour
Nawiliwili, Kauai
This was another island that I though was one of the best, it was absolutely beautiful. We didn't sign up for any excursions, we just walked around and hung out at the beach. This probably was one of the best things we possibly could do. Oh and go shopping.
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
All we did here was the beach blast which i think was a waist of money.
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
All we did here was the beach blast which i think was a waist of money.
Nawiliwili, Kauai