Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

NCL!!! Never Again!!!--Pride of Hawaii

Sail Date: July 01, 2007

Room Type: Suite

The ship is new, but it is not being properly maintained. Most of the crew is indifferent. Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed.

Pros: The Hawaiian Islands--Scenery from our balcony

Cons: Food--awful

Recommends Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED)? No.

The ship is new, but the carpet is dirty in the public areas. The windows are dirty. Fortunately, our cabin steward appeared to be better than most.
Freestyle dining is horrible. One can make reservations for the dining, but they are useless. A reservation is simply one's scheduled time to come stand in line for the cafeteria food. Even with reservations, we had to wait in line for 45 minutes. People were complaining; some were arguing with the crew and the crew was arguing back. After that my husband refused to try to eat in the Grand Pacific or Alizar, and I hated the Aloha Nui Cafe. We were on vacation, and the dining situation was just too stressful for us. There are speciality resturants on board, cost about $20. per person, plus taxes, tips, and any other costs for drinks, etc. Even with the added cost, the service is still not as good as what one receives with other cruise lines for free. The added cost of the speciality restaurants really bothered my husband, when we had to pay and still did not get as good of food or service as other cruise lines. We didn't choose the cruise for the food, but the food was bad.
Other than our cabin steward, the crew was very indifferent. The crew appeared to be poorly trained. Oftentimes, we were given misinformation. On other cruises, we have purchased photos, but our pictures were not good this time, i.e., eyes closed, awkward posing, etc.
This is the first cruise ship that we have ever been on that we were unable to find anywhere to dance, before midnight, and that's too late for us. I called the front desk to ask where we could dance. I was told, "Midnight...." I turned in a complaint card requesting if there is nothing available before midnight, at least put on a dance CD, instead of lounge music, and let us use the floor. I also asked for a call back, which I didn't receive. I quickly learned on this cruise that the entertainment is the view from our balcony and off the ship. There were in-rooom movies. There is little entertainment, except the movies, and I didn't go on a cruise to watch movies; I can do that at home.
There were onboard AA meetings, which I liked since the Freestyle Daily was full of drinking activities. I found the reference "Be There or Be Sober" offensive.
Our cabin appeared to be one of the cleaner areas of the ship. We were very fortunate to have one of the few good cabin stewards. The cabin appeared to be smaller than those of competitors. The beds were comfortable. I requested bar soap for the bathroom and never received any.