Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

Better Than I Had Expected!

Sail Date: March 01, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I just returned form this cruise, my sail date was March 26, 2007. I read all the reviews before I left and saw that there were good reviews and some bad ones. I went in with an open mind and it really was a lot better than I had expected. Especially the food at the buffet. The steaks were tender and juicy. The sit down restaurants were good overall, the sushi bar is really worth it. The Japanese Teppanyaki wasn't good though. The entertainment was cheesy but that was expected. The ship is absolutely wonderful, it is clean, the staff cleans the staterooms in a timely fashion and were all really nice. I don't ask for much though. I am a pretty critical person and I was surprised that I didn't find much wrong with the whole experience. I was wondering why all those people wrote such bad things about the cruise. It is true that there were tons of newlyweds and old people, but that's OK. It was so worth it to go to all the islands and the food was good and we met plenty of people our age. The check in and check out were also very easy. We did the express walk off and took our own bags and got off by 8AM. We were also travelling with our 8 month old baby and they gave us a comfortable crib and the staff were always willing to help with high chairs, etc. So helpful. I would recommend this trip to anyone. It can be anything you want it to be, really laid back or a total party cruise. Just be careful that you don't overspend in the excursions. We rented a car in the 2 day stops and did 4 excursions on our own for under $80. There are always free shuttles at the ports to take you to beaches, shopping or rental cars.

Pros: Food was good, beds were so comfortable, staff were helpful overall. Staterooms were beautiful, even the small ones.

Cons: Not much to complain about, everything was good.

Recommends Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED)? Yes!

It's not GREAT but it is very good. Good variety.
There are lots to do but really no time to do them. But I did make it to a show and it was OK. Something fun to do if you haven't seen a lot of musical shows or if you are just looking for something to round out your day.
My baby is too young to participate and they did not have any sitters available. All kids programs are for kids ages 2 and up. They can watch your kids till 10:30PM, something I wish I could have participated in. But none the less, it was easy to cruise on NCL with a baby. I did go poke around in the facilities and they seem very nice. They had a parade of children singing on the last day, I guess it was something they were working on all week. Very cute. I saw NO kids crying during my cruise. The staff all seemed very interested in the kids and were always helping them.
Very modern, beautiful ship Good glass work and wood work. Nice artwork throughout the ship were displayed.
Personal stewarts are all so nice and willing to help Front desk for the most part were very nice. Excursions desk were the least friendly but I am guessing cause they have the longest lines.
Beautiful rooms. The bed was so comfortable. Our room was always clean when we returned from either just hanging out on the ship or if we went out. They get to everyone's room pretty quickly. We had a windowless room which is tough because we couldn't tell if it was day or night but it was still a great looking room. Small, but that is to be expected. We still had the room for a king size bed, a crib and all our luggage. Including all the baby's stuff!