Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Hawaii

Great way to see Hawaii

Sail Date: January 01, 2007

Great ship, great cruise, good food, expensive booze (of course we snuck some on to spike our orange juice). We made the mistake of renting cars through the cruise excursion system. We were told the cars would be waiting at the dock, but you actually have to take a shuttle like everyone else to get them. The price of the van through the cruise was $85 per day. If you waited and got them on your own they were $40 per day. Don't bother to rent in Kona, you won't have time to go anywhere. You'll blow an hour just getting the car and another taking it back. The ship has to tender you in and out of port, and it has to leave early. Just go into town and take a snorkel tour or hang out.

Pros: Nice ship great weather

Cons: My rental car

Recommends Pride of Hawaii (RETIRED)? Yes!

The buffet food is buffet food, no better and no worse than any buffet anywhere. The specialty restaurants were excellant and gave you enough selections to custom fit your pallet. Even though it was freestyle and you didn't have to dress up, the restaurants were elegantly appointed and very nice. I've read comments where people were dissatisfied with the reservation system. We loved it. There are displays all over the ship telling you the waiting time in each restaurant . We never made a reservation, we just looked to see who wasn't very busy and went down and walked in.
Rooms were nice, typical cruise accomodations, but like all of them, people with long legs barely fit on the stool.
I have never been on a cruise that people weren't friendly, and this is no exception. We were able to strike up conversations and kid around with the bartenders, (like sarah on the fantail)and they put up with our inane tourist musings. I read comments about poor service. If you compared it to any restaurant anywhere is was as good as any. If you compared it to what we've had on some other cruise lines it is not. But I personally don't require someone standing behind me while I eat to wipe my chin or give me a new fork between every bite of food. While they may have some shortcomings (after all they are americans not foreigners) all in all I was satisfied.
One regret we had after the cruise is we did not have time to fully enjoy the ship. We went ashore every day and stayed out until we had to come back. We did catch a few shows in the evening, and actually sang some kareoke one night. I've seen some pretty great shows on some cruises, but these were ok. To break the ice and meet some people you should do the "pub crawl" with Mike (sexual chocolate).
A fine vessal to be sure. Had a great basketball/tennis/hockey court, but because we were in port every day, I never saw anyone use it. When I've cruised before on other lines, you had to fight to get court time. Here you could play anytime you wanted but I didn't have time. Ship was not as swanky as others I've been on, but very nice.