Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Room for improvement

Sail Date: July 01, 2013

The ship was very pretty, well decorated, and clean. I especially liked the stair case mid-ship on the 5th and 6th levels.

Pros: Coffeemaker in my room

Cons: Free style dining

Recommends Pride of America? No.

I like bigger ships but this ship was pretty and well maintained.
Free style dining can be interpreted as "be prepared to wait". We had to get a pager once and wait about 25 minutes to be seated. We were seated promptly other times but at night we waited at least 10 to 15 minutes between each course. The waiters and waitresses were not friendly at all. The "grilled" steaks had no taste at all. We usually try things we have never eaten before on cruises but these menus were the same old, same old. We were prompted often to eat in the specialty restaurants that were an additional charge.
I was so excited that we had a balcony for the first time. I was so disappointed to see that we had no privacy at all on our balcony. There was a division to our right but we were open to the life boats on our left. One morning I was having coffee in my pajamas on the balcony and looked over to see two workmen working on the life boats.
They definitely did not go above and beyond. Our room safe would not open 5 times before we finally quit using it. We would call, have to wait 20 to 30 minutes for someone to come. They would open it and before 24 hours were up the "SER" message would appear. They were supposed to place a work order for someone to check it out but that never happened. We took all our money and jewelry out and hid it as best we could when we went out.
We left one show early and never went to the show the last two nights. The entertainment and activities did not come close to comparing to other cruise lines. WE had to leave Maui a day early due to a tropical storm. That has happened before on another ship and they added more activities since we had to spend a day at sea. We had nothing to do that day but play bingo.