Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Contributor Level: Second Mate

p
Our 10-day Hawaiian cruise on...

Sail Date: September 09, 2007

p
Our 10-day Hawaiian cruise on the strongPride of Aloha/strongstarted in Honolulu and traveled to Kauai, Hilo, Maui, Kahului, Kona, and Lahaina. Hawaii was awesome. I see why so many TV shows and movies are filmed there, absolutely beautiful. I don#39;t think I could pick one favorite port because all of them were great. The best thing about Hawaii is there are no snakes or poisonous animals except for box jellyfish that only come out during the full moon cycle.br /
br /
The entertainment on the boat was great. The comedians were so funny and so was the ventriloquist. The On the Radio show was very good. It was filled with songs, dancing, and full dress entire from the 50 and up. My friend#39;s daughter said we dressed funny in the 80s. The employee talent show was great. My favorite part of the show was the finale. The employees came out dressed in togas and carrying water pitchers on their shoulders. They would then take a drink and start spitting water on each other. I know it sounds gross, but you had to be there. The best show was the Ship and Male show. The cruise director had the whole room cheering for more. He stripped down to a pair of boxers and then continued to take off 4-5 pairs of boxers before he got down to a g-string.br /
strongShore Excursions/strongbr /
br /
span style=color: rgb(0, 0, 255);strongSeptember 10: Kauai ndash; Mokihana Helicopter/strong/spanbr /
The 50 minute helicopter ride was awesome. It costs a lot of money to go on a helicopter ride, but it is well worth the money. If you have seen the opening scene to Jurassic Park, then you have seen part of my helicopter tour because the first time you see Jurassic Park in the movie is from the helicopter ride into Kauai. Each person receives a headset and the helicopter pilot points out various waterfalls, Waimea Canyon, and places where movies were filmed. I found it very difficult to understand what the pilot was saying, but no narration was necessary to enjoy the beautiful view.br /
br /
span style=color: rgb(0, 0, 255);strongSeptember 11: Kauai ndash; Journey to Waimea Canyon/strong/spanbr /
The Waimea Canyon trip was very beautiful. It is definitely the Grand Canyon of the west. The canyon is filled with so many colors from reds, browns, blues, and greens. It is a beautiful place to have your picture taken.br /
br /
span style=color: rgb(0, 0, 255);strongSeptember 13: Hilo ndash; Volcano Rainbow Falls Deluxe/strong/spanbr /
If you want to go to the Volcano National Park, pay the extra money and go on the deluxe tour. You start your tour viewing Rainbow Falls. The waterfall is absolutely beautiful. Your next stop is Nani Mau Botanical Gardens. The gardens should not be missed. The Botanical Gardens in Hilo is so much better than the gardens in Maui. The Maui gardens look like they were planted for farming purposes. The Nani Mau Botanical Gardens look like you just walked into the Garden of Eden. Then you spend 60 minutes driving out to Volcano National Park, but there is plenty to see on the drive. Lunch is provided at the Volcano house which overlooks the Kilauea Volcano (the earth#39;s most active volcano), but from the top, it just looked like a massive whole in the ground. Then you drive along the side of the 11-mile-long-crater and along a huge field of old lava (looks like road tar). Then you stop at the Jaggar Museum to learn about the birth of Hawaiian Islands. Pay close attention to the painting of the boat at the entrance. Look at it from the left and then the right and you will be amazed. The Thurston Lava Tube was cool. It was like walking through underground caverns. Your last stop will be at the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory. I think the Nani Mau Botanical Gardens was the best part of the tour.br /
br /
span style=color: rgb(0, 0, 255);strongSeptember 14: Maui (Kahului) ndash; Rainforest Waterfall Hike/strong/spanbr /
The rainforest waterfall hike was so much fun. They gave us these weird Japanese hiking shoes to wear because you could wear them in or out of the water. It was like wearing a sock with rubber on the bottom of them. They were the most comfortable shoes. I was glad I did not have my shoes on because it was very muddy and we had to hike through some water that went above our knees to get to the waterfall. We went swimming for about a half an hour in the lake with the waterfall. The water was very cold when we got in, but it got warm very quick. I was too afraid to try the rope swing, but it looked like fun. Walking in the lake and the stream to the lake was very difficult. You had to walk real slowly so you would not fall on the rocks in the bottom of the water. Our tour guide, Tony, watched all of us cross and held our hands if we need help getting across. He was very knowledgeable and taught us all of the trees, flowers, and fruits in the rainforest.br /
br /
span style=color: rgb(0, 0, 255);strongSeptember 15: Maui (Kahului) ndash; Haleakala Crater at Sunrise and Ulalena-Myth Magic/strong/spanbr /
I wasn#39;t impressed by the Haleakala Crater at Sunrise tour. It was so fogged over you couldn#39;t see anything. So we basically paid $75 to get up at 3:00 AM in the morning to drive to a top of a crater to see nothing. If I was you, I would book the tour during the day and not during the morning.br /
br /
The Ulalena-Myth Magic show was so amazing. We had a seat on the side, so the live drumming and sound effects were very loud because they were right beside us in the balcony. Also they made parts of the dancing 3D by running through the audience with fish on sticks or covering the audience in lava (a big red blanket). It is definitely worth the money.br /
br /
span style=color: rgb(0, 0, 255);strongSeptember 17: Kona ndash; Kohala Waterfalls Adventure/strong/spanbr /
The rainforest waterfall hike is so much better than this tour. The tour indicates that the tour is over relatively level ground. Most of this tour is up and down hills and stairs so don#39;t let the shore excursion description foul you. The waterfalls are so much nicer on the Rainforest Waterfall hike. The waterfall that we stopped at to swim looked like a dirty watering whole. Nobody went swimming. Also, if you get car sick, I wouldn#39;t go on this tour. You have to go on part of the Road to Hana which is very windy. Once you get to the hiking area, the tour guide opens a fence and drives about a mile inside of the fence over hills and grass (no road). The tour guide said the passenger vans were custom made for 4-wheel drive. It was very bumping.br /
br /
span style=color: rgb(0, 0, 255);strongSeptember 18: Maui (Lahaina) ndash; Best of Maui/strong/spanbr /
Your tour begins at the Iao Valley. Ioa Valley is a lava remnant rising 1200 feet into the air covered with rainforest vegetation. It is also where a famous Hawaiian battle was found. There is quite a few stairs to the top, but you can enjoy the view from the top or the bottom of the lookout point. By the way pack an umbrella because Ioa Valley is the second wettest stop in Maui and it did rain on us. The next stop was the Maui Tropical Plantation. I wasn#39;t too thrilled by the plantation because the Hilo Botanical Gardens are so much beautiful than the plantation as I stated above. The final stop is the Maui Ocean Center. When it comes to underwater tunnels in aquariums nothing beats Ripley#39;s Believe or Not Aquarium (in Gatlinburg, TN). The Maui Ocean#39;s center tunnel was very small. The whole tunnel takes less than 15 seconds to walk straight thru. The aquarium is very small, but if you rent a audio tour device, you could be in the aquarium for hours because each display has 2-4 audio tours. I gave up on the audio device after about 30 minutes. The fish, however, were much different than I have seen in any other aquarium, so that made up for the small aquarium.br /
br /
span style=color: rgb(0, 0, 255);strongSeptember 19: Honolulu ndash; Best of Oahu Grand Finale (Cruise Disembarkation)/strong/spanbr /
Before I begin to explain this shore excursion, I want to tell you about one very important detail. No matter if NCL tells you your luggage will be on the bus waiting for you, don#39;t listen to them. We had several NCL representatives tell us your luggage was going to be placed on the bus for us, but it was not. After my friend call several phone numbers, she finally got a hold of someone and we got our luggage back a day later. We were staying in Honolulu for two extra days and we had no clothes for one of the days.br /
br /
Pearl Harbor was packed. It took an hour and a half to get a boat out to the monument. Then the Pearl Harbor security only gives you 10 minutes on the memorial before they take you back. Such a long wait for such a short time, it is almost like standing in line for a new roller coaster. The ride out to the Polynesian Cultural Center is very beautiful. You will find out on every bus ride you go on that the bus drivers will tell you over and over the history of Hawaii, where movies were filmed, and where famous people live. By the time you leave the islands, you will know almost everything about Hawaii. The Polynesian Cultural Center was great. We started off the day watching a drumming show, followed up by a parade on the water of all different kinds of dances, then on to a canoe ride, and finally to a luau.

Recommends Pride of America? Yes!

We had 3 in our party, so it really helped having a balancy room.
The food was good, but the only place you could get pizza was at the bar and they made you buy a drink in order to receive a pizza.
The strip show was the best .... take it off boys :)
did not use this service
The room attendants were very friendly
did not use this service
What can I say, it is Hawaii ... every Destination was totally awesome.