Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Sail Date: September 01, 2010

It makes me very sad to have to write this review. We have sailed with NCL before and we had a wonderful time. We sailed on The Pride of America Sept. 4, 2010. We stayed in cabin 8558. There was a letter of my medical needs on file with the ship. Our cabin flooded at the beginning of the cruise. I was told I would have to move to a different cabin so the plumbing could be fixed. I was told someone would help me. A very rude young man brought a key and tossed it on the bed. He informed me that if I had a walker or wheelchair I could make it to a new cabin without help. I told him I did not have my brace on and because the cabin was flooded I could not put it on. He left. The new cabin was on the other side of the ship and down a long hall. The cabin was very small. My wheelchair would not fit in the room, nor would my scooter. It was dangerous for me to stay in the room when the ship was not docked. When the plumbing was fixed there was a terrible smell in the room. Eventually a cover was removed from a drain that separated the cabin and the bathroom. It was filled with yucky black gunk. I was told there was not a larger cabin open on the entire ship, so we stayed in the stinky room for the rest of the cruise. It was horrible. If the assistant manager was being honest, passengers in one of the cabins for handicapped passengers or anyone in one of the larger cabins would be in the same position. On the last day of the cruise we also had no power. Our vacation was ruined and I would not want anyone else to be put in a similar position. I did send a detailed letter to NCL, but they did not respond.

Pros: Hawaii is beautiful, the shore excursion staff was great and we love the freestyle dining options

Cons: our horrible smelly room and a rude staff member

Recommends Pride of America? No.

Most of the staff was wonderful. The young man who should have handled our problem was one of the rudest people I have ever met,
see review above
We loved the freestyle choices. We ate at two of the special restaurants, both were great. There was handicapped seating in the buffet.