Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Comfortable and fun, but tiring cruise

Sail Date: May 01, 2009

The ship was very nice, not super posh, but with plenty of amenities to make it fun and comfy. DO NOT go on this cruise if you're looking to have a relaxing time, though. True, no one forces you to get off the ship early every day and go touring, but Hawaii is sooooo inviting that you just have to! There are so many sights, so much beauty and exciting stuff that at the end of the day you're exhausted from "having fun". lol. It's a wonderful way to visit four islands without flying from place to place.

Pros: Great way to see several Hawaiian islands without flying to each one

Cons: No fault of the cruise ship, it's just not a relaxing cruise

Recommends Pride of America? Yes!

There was adequete entertainment and activities for most people. This isn't a Carribbean party boat, so don't expect that kind of excitement.
Like I just mentioned, plenty of amenities, but it's a US ship with a US crew and that makes it very different from the foreign flagged boats. I must admit that I felt safer knowing the US gov was on top of the conditions, but there isn't the "poor" third world crew waiting on you hand and foot like many cruisers are used to.
The regular restaurants were good quality food and nice atmosphere. I went to East meets West, Jefferson Bistro and the steakhouse and they were all very good and worth the extra money, especially for a more intimate setting.
My BB category balcony room was on the small side, but once I found all the well-designed cubbies, there was room for everything.
Again, like it or not, a US crew is different. Just get over it and accept that these are peers, not subservient foreigners seeking their only way out of poverty.