Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

A Big Disappointment

Sail Date: June 01, 2007

The ship was not kept clean, the food was mediocre, and the service was slow. The specialty restaurants required additional fees, were difficult to make reservations, and had slow service. We waited several hours after boarding the ship before our cabins were ready, and they weren't clean. The shore excursions booked through NCL were much more expensive than the exact same excursions available from other companies at the pier.

Pros: Touring the islands

Cons: Service and food

Recommends Pride of America? Yes!

My inside cabin on deck 8 was small but adequate for 2 people. The shower was tiny. There was plenty of closet and drawer space with a vanity/desk area. There were candy wrappers and receipts under one bed when we arrived--still there when we left. The beds were made with a bottom sheet and a comforter--no top sheet. My cabin mate requested a top sheet--had to bring the cabin steward in to explain what she wanted. That evening when we returned, she had a top sheet, but I did not get one. Several people in our group arrived on the first day to find that the cabin bathroom had not yet been cleaned from the previous occupant.
I had conversations with staff from many different departments. Many of them complained about the long hours and talked about those who leave the ship before their contracts end. They aren't happy about being asked to do anything that isn't in their job descriptions--it's always someone else's responsibility. In the dining rooms, there aren't enough servers causing long waits for plates that are often mixed up or not cooked as ordered. I met many staff members who had been on the job less than a month, and at each port new hires were seen coming aboard. Breakfast one morning was served by a young girl who had just starting working on the ship less than an hour before. I expressed my unhappiness with free-style cruising to one staff member who told me that NCL targets the 30 to 50 age group who had never experienced Traditional cruising. He didn't seem to care about my opinions since I am older than the target age group.
The public restrooms were often dirty, lacked paper, and several times were out of order with toilets not flushing properly or running over flooding the floors.
The Alohe Cafe buffet was a confusing feeding frenzy with many small food stations. The food was mediocre and not well displayed. Diners had to juggle plates of food, drinks, and silverware--no trays.
The presentation in the dining rooms is attractive, but the food was nothing special. Rare orders arrived well done, and well done orders were rare. Sides were switched because they had run out of what was listed on the menu even in the specialty restaurants. Several people at a table would receive their entrees as much as 15 minutes before the rest of the table. One night dinner in the Skyline took 3 hours. We had an 8:00 reservation in the Liberty and still had to wait 20 minutes for our table. It's obvious that they don't have enough wait staff because there are many empty tables and the service is still very slow. The Cadillac Diner has typical diner food but a milkshake costs an additional $3.50 charged to your ship card. Reservations for dinner are difficult to make.
The professional entertainment was average, but there is no ship entertainment group--just a ridiculous amateur hour by staff and crew members.