Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Great Cruise

Sail Date: May 01, 2007

This was only our second cruise amd I can say I was not disappointed. Despite several negatives reviews that I've read, I can only say our experience was positive. Nothing in life is perfect, there are always a few drawbacks, but certainly the positives more than out weighed any complaints.

Everyone will have a different experience and story to tell. I can only say our experience was wonderful and I would do it all again.

Pros: Free Styling

Cons: Cadillac Diner

Recommends Pride of America? Yes!

I've read complaints about the staff on the ship. Our experience with the staff was quite the contrary. We only experienced accomodating and smiling staff. Everyone was pleasant and helpful.
I would suggest cruisers not take the ship excursions. There are many tour companies that you can take that are far less money or rent a car. We rented a car 3 times in different ports and had no problems. We liked being on our own and on our own schedule. We did do the Road to Hana tour through the ship's excursion and our tour guide was excellent and a wealth of knowledge. We would have missed that had we done that on our own. Plus it was nice to have someone else navigate the 613 curves. Take your motion sickness medicine beforehand! It's an awesome trip and should not be missed.
I liked the free style dining concept. We got to eat when and where we wanted. I was not forced to sit with people for an entire week that I had nothing in common with, ate when it fit into MY schedule and met many new people at each meal. Yes, there were some waits into the main dining rooms, but we tried to plan around that by either eating a little earlier or later and beat the rush crowd.

The food is good. Not the best that I've had, but certainly not the worst, other than the Cadillac diner. The diner really lacks in quality and it was my only complaint. We only ate at 2 of the specialty restaurants. I was not impressed with the Jefferson Bistro and loved our dinner at Little Italy. Our reservations were Friday at 5:30 and sat near the window as we cruised by Napali Coast. Awesome sight!

Some complained about the free style and wait lines for the restaurants. I actually like the free style.
Our balcony room was at the end of the hall and was very quiet and private. It was always clean when we returned from our day out in Hawaii.